Chapter 11: Jasper

I woke up at 7:00 AM and picked out my outfit. A yellow sweater and some jeans. It was fall now, and it was starting to get cold. Black Vans to complete the look. I placed them on my bed and went into the bathroom, brushing my teeth and hopping into the shower. The hot water calmed me.

After stepping out of the shower I dressed up and combed my hair. I put on my glasses, got my backpack, phone, and headed out the door into the hallway.

"Morning!" I yelled.

"Good morning!" My dad yelled back, as he came out of his room. He looked like a grown up version of me. He had a red, wavy, medium-length beard. I took most of my features from him. My brother, Vincent, took half of his features from mom, and half from dad. He had mom's brown hair and her brown eyes, but he had dad's nose and his face shape.

"How did you sleep?" He asked me, as we walked downstairs.

"Good." I replied. I sat at the island of our kifchen.

"Morning!" Vincent said, rushing downstairs. He zipped his backpack as he walked down the last couple of steps.

"Energetic today?" Dad asked.

"Yep." He said.

My dad pulled out some granola bars from the cabinet and handed them to us. I quickly unwrapped it and took a bite. Tasting almond, chocolate, oat and caramel. I chewed slowly.

"So, I heard you have a new friend? Simon, is it?" Vincent questioned, taking a bite of his granola bar.

"Yeah. Where'd you hear, though?"

"Quinn's older sister told me. You went to Quinn's house on Friday. She saw you guys sitting together."

I choked on my granola bar as I remembered that night. The memory of me putting my arm over his shoulder swarmed my mind.

"Woah buddy, slow down on chewing. Drink some water." My dad said, grabbing a bottle of water and opening it, quickly handing it to me.

I drank from it, calming down.

"Jeez, Jasper. Are you okay?" Vincent asked, patting my back as I took a deep breath.

"Yep."

"Alright, time for us to go." My dad said, as he jingled his keys in his pocket.

He walked towards the front door, with us following him. We walked down the steps to our porch and got into the black sedan. It was a bit small, but we didn't need much space since it was just the three of us. I sat in the backseat, pulling out my headphones and plugging them into my phone. I tapped on the Spotify app and pushed play on my playlist. The lyrics of "Looking Out for You by Joy Again" filled my ears.

"I guess I should stop"

"Looking out for you"

"Like I always do"

"When will you"

"Start looking out for me too"

"Instead of leaving me staring at my shoes"

"Hey, Jasper." My dad said.

I took out an earphone.

"Hm?"

"Maybe you should invite that Simon kid over, hm?"

"O-oh. Yeah! Okay."

"Good."