Chapter 1: Simon

Author's Note:

•Here's a description of what the characters look like to help you picture them better:

> Simon Park is a 5'8 Korean boy with brown eyes and long black hair that goes down to his back.

> Jasper Collins is a 5'10 redhead (white) with thick black circular glasses, his hair is a little wavy and kind of sits over his forehead, and he has blue eyes. He also has a slim figure.

> Chance Reilly is black and has dark brown skin with an afro. He is a little taller than Simon. He has brown eyes.

> Quinn Lopez is Hispanic/Latino with tan-ish skin, short dark-black hair and thick black glasses (non-binary btw so that's why I address them as "they") and although it's not mentioned I imagine them to be around 5'7, and they have brown eyes.

> Felix Stoker is white with short-ish brown hair and green eyes, he also has freckles and is around 5'9 (Didn't mention any of their heights other than Simon and Jasper's but this description will help you)

> Carrie Grey is black and has brown skin with black braids but in the end she has curly black hair tied into a bun, and, she's also a little shorter than Quinn. She has dark-brown eyes.

-----

I glared at Jasper before turning my head back to my notes. I didn't need to turn around and look at him to know that he was glaring back. His eyes were probably burning into the back of my head, wishing that they were real lasers so that he could annihilate me. But, I wanted to annihilate him too, so I guess it was fair. I copied down the notes using my black ballpoint pen. Feeling the small, white letters that were engraved onto the side of the pen on my palm as I wrote.

I hated him. He hated me. That's just how it was. For three years we had despised each other. Since the seventh grade. It was August, the start of a new school year. We were sophomores in high school now.

"And what formula could represent this linear equation?" Mr. Carter asked while turning around to face the class. I raised my hand. He sniffed, shifting his gaze onto my face.

He called on me. "Yes, Simon?"

"It's y=mx+b." I said, proudly.

"Correct." He said. Turning back to the board to write the formula for us to see.

"Smartass." Jasper mumbled.

"Yeah, smarter than you." I mumbled back, without looking at him. But I could see his nasty glare in the corner of my eye. I snorted, rolling my eyes.

Chance sighed. I didn't even need to ask him what he was sighing for. I couldn't really blame him, because he was usually the mediator in all of our little arguments.

He scratched his black hair. He had an afro. His dark-brown skin shined against the light. I had met Chance Reilly in the fifth grade. He'd been one of my best friends since then. As well as Felix Stoker and Quinn Lopez. 

I was surprised Chance wasn't tired of us. He was just tired of the arguments. I would be lying if I said I wasn't tired too, but I couldn't help it. Jasper was so infuriating.

I looked at my smart watch. Only ten more minutes left until the bell rang.