Chapter 132: Arrogance of the Strong

Start from the beginning

Paiee Nilsen hunched over a dwarf, cradling a bloodied right arm. Reddened eyes watered as she looked up to the red mage. "Is it possible to repay such a debt?"

"No," Absalon instantly refuted. His features relaxed as he let out a sigh. "However, at the very least, you can ensure their sacrifices are not in vain. These men and women fought and died for a free Aygorzi. It now falls to you to make this city one which your fallen brethren will be able to laugh and boast about, even in the afterlife. Make it so they can puff out their chests and say, 'Ha! You see that! I died for that city right there!'"

"Ha, you see that. I died for that city right there," repeated Brexio Rocha under his breath, eyes clouded over with heavy grief. A chuckle escaped his lips, eyes regaining their vigor as he pondered on the words. With a stamp of his ax, he bellowed, "HAHA! Take your time and relax over there. We shall definitely make it so you can stick out your chests and boast even to the gods!"

The wild man's bellow echoed throughout the battlefield, igniting the flames of the dwarfs' squashed pride. One warrior after another stamped their weapons against the earth, repeating the warrior's words.

"Hey, Annabelle! Boast to pops. Your brother will build a great nation like never seen!"

"My love, watch on. I shall surely make you proud."

"Hey Walfrid, still owe me a beer, you goat fucker," murmured a young dwarf, small rivulets of blood dripping from a stump where his left arm should have been. In a bout of carelessness, he had lost it to a merrite, but his best friend took the killing blow in his place. His remaining hand trembled with strength as it clasped firmly onto the ax's hilt. "Heh, don't worry, by the time we're done, you'll have to greet me with the most expensive wine..."

Hovering in the air, Syèl clutched his chest as similar declarations resonated across the plains. Memories of young, impressionable faces surfaced, their features twisted with pain and depression. Yet, every one of those faces sported weakened smiles, their final words a burden too heavy to bear. "Live well." "Live on." "You must live for all of us." "Stay strong." Then she appeared, golden hair beautiful eyes stained with red. "Live on. Live Happily. Live the life we wanted. Live a life we can be proud of. Thank y—"

With a heavy flap of his wings, Syèl burst into the sky above, the opposing wind managing to interrupt the memory. Below, Shoko raised her gaze to the sky, a flash of guilt crossing her face as she watched the young man's fleeing back, small drops of clear, transparent liquid glistening in the afternoon sun. However, she soon fixed her expression, returning her attention to the merrites who were being shackled. "...I cannot tell him yet. Not like this." She cast her gaze to the north, where a battle was sure to be taking place. "Please finish this. I must leave this horrible place."

A dwarf noticed her far-off look and followed suit, sending a pleading gaze and prayer to the north. Like a current of hope, not only the dwarfs, but even the merrites, Summoned and felur turned to the north. No one knew what they were waiting for or what they expected, but without fail, they looked to the north, half-believing, half-hoping a sign would come. A signal to indicate their losses would not be in vain.

Absalon's whitened knuckles tightly gripped his staff, brows furrowed as he too gazed toward the north. "Come on, Kashi."

"