fourteen

the rest of the night was spent with Oscar and Cesar yelling at eachother over latrelle who pulled his gun out on not only him, but monse too

in the morning, oscar took valeria to school and made cesar stay home which is weird cause she could've sworn she saw him getting ready to leave.

"have a good day. i love you chiquita."

valeria sent him a small smile before getting out.

"...I love you too." valeria leaned back in the car to kiss his cheek before walking onto campus meeting up with her group.

on the way she saw cesar urgently walking pass her to the exit, "he caught you?"

"yep."

"he always does." she muttered to herself.

•••

since ruby was helping olivia take her mind off cesar she called alexis to see if she wanted to get ice cream. the two girls were now at the park eating from their cups. alexis heard what was going on with cesar, hell half of the school knew since it was all over ig so she knew she had to help take her mind off of the whole situation.

"i'm telling you bruh this rollerword shit is 100% real, fax no printer." valeria laughed shaking her head.

"you sound like jamal right now." alexis' ears perked up at the mention of his name but she tried to play it cool. "how's he doing by the way? i haven't spoken to him since he won the football game for us." she looked down kicking her feet at the tan bark.

"he's actually on a mission on finding the roller world money right now."

the girls mouth dropped open she didn't think the lanky boy could get any more perfect, "i can totally help i've been studying the case of roller world since i was in the 7th grade."

"oh my god, you two would be perfect for eachother." alexis looked down as a blush crept onto her cheeks.

"you should tell him lex." alexis shook her head, "he obviously has a lot on his plate right now,, i can't tell him yet."

valeria opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by the ringing of her phone, "speak of the devil. hey jamal what's up?"

"wait what?"

"okay i'm on my way." valeria put her phone in her back pocket and stood up.

"come on we've got money to find."

¥

"we've been here for over 2 hours and all we have is 3 numbers." valeria exclaimed tiredly.

"hush child, daddy's thinking."

"twenty, seven, 42?" alexis repeated slowly.

"yes. twenty, seven, 42. my best guess is that these three numbers are a combo to a lock. But where's the lock, baby girl? tell me. tell your j- daddy."

"i can't believe my competition is a garden gnome."

jamal interrupted the two to point out the two doors with a red padlock on it. "hurry jamal open it." alexis said excitedly.

"calm down girls. daddy's gonna bring home the cheddar." jamal turned the knob three times. twenty, seven, 42.

their smiles all slowly faded when jamal opened the doors to reveal hundreds of safes with identical locks.