twenty seven

"alright, what about this?" alexis lifted up a plain red knotted crop top

valeria adjusted the clutter of clothing that was hanging on her arms before stepping forward and holding the ends of the shirt
"it's cute."

"yeah?"

"mhm." valeria peeked inside the shirt and whistled in distaste, "it is not worth that price though."

"$25? yeah let's go i'm hungry."

after paying the two girls took the escalator downstairs and made their way to the food court. "pizza?" alexis suggested.

"i was thinking sushi." seeing the look on alexis' face she sighed. "alright you get your pizza and i'll get my sushi and i'll meet you over at..." valeria looked around until she found empty seating, "that table."

"deal."

valeria waited patiently in line and when it was finally her turn she ordered a dragon and california roll before making her way to the seats which were surprisingly still empty.

she unpackaged her chopsticks and opened up the sushi container. "so, you weren't gonna answer my texts?" valeria looked up with wide eyes to see sapo and immediately started looking around before snapping her head back towards him. "you can't be here." she leaned her head in to whisper harshly.

"i just wanna know why you ghosted me and i'll leave." he spread his legs and leaned back in the chair keeping one arm on the table as he stared at her.

"your gonna get yourself killed if we continue to speak." sapo furrowed his eyebrows in confusion before slowly starting to lean in, "the hell you talking about?"

"spooky's my brother, okay." she snapped with a deep sigh.

"shit." he muttered as he himself started looking around.

"what's going on here?" alexis asked shooting valeria a look that said 'what the fuck are you doing.'

valeria looked at sapo who was currently still processing this new information, "nothing. he was just leaving, right?"

"yeah." he spoke standing up from the chair and offering it to alexis, "i was. see you around val." he spoke a little too calmly for her liking.

"spill." alexis said as she opened up her pizza box.

••

valeria woke up to the sound of voices coming from her outside her bedroom door. she stood up and rubbed her eyes before slipping her cold feet in her froggy slippers and opening her door to see cesar with his back to her as he stood in the hallway entrance.

valeria stood next to him and furrowed her eyebrows at the angry look on his face before examining the room and a sense of fear washed over her when she saw sapo and her brothers in the same room, instantly assuming the worst.