twenty four

"i hate you

  "i hate you." valeria said, covering her mouth with her hand to try and hide her laugh.

she watched as sapo leaned against his seat across from her with a smirk. "your nose is gonna start growing if you keep lying."

"mhm whatever." she sang reaching over to steal one of his fries. "what?" she asked, when she noticed his stare.

"nothin', you just pretty mama." valeria blushed as he reached over and grabbed her hand in his, placing a kiss on the back of it.

"oh my god. don't look at me like that." her cheeks were starting to hurt from smiling too much.

their moment was interrupted however when his phone rang and valeria saw a look of hardness taking over his features. "my bad. i gotta take this, just give me a minute." he said, getting up and excusing himself from the booth and heading outside.

valeria furrowed her eyebrows and turned her head to watch as he seemed to be arguing with someone on the other end of the line. "just, great." she sighed turning her head back around and eating more of his fries.

"you have to leave?" valeria asked when sapo came back with an apologetic look on his face.

"yeah, i'm really sorry something came up. but, i would really like to take you out again if you would let me."

valeria tapped her finger on her chin as she hummed, "mhm i guess you could. but only if you get me another milkshake."

valeria enjoyed the laugh that erupted from his throat.

"i got you mama."

•••

after her date, valeria met up with alexis at her house and informed her of everything that has been going on for the last couple of days. after while the two girls got hungry and decided to head to 'dwayne's joint bbq.'

"hey, look it's cesar and monse. are they back together?" alexis asked receiving a shrug from valeria, "i don't even care anymore."

"fair."

valeria watched as monse stormed out of the restaurant with cesar quickly following after her.

valeria and alexis looked at eachother and shrugged before ringing the bell at the counter.

"oh, hey dad." valeria greeted her eyebrow raising up in surprise. "you work here now?"

"yeah, uh cesar got me the job." he responded with a small smile, before glancing at alexis. "this your friend?"

"yup. alexis this is my dad, ray and dad, this is alexis."

alexis smiled and stuck out her hand which he accepted. "nice to meet you."

"yeah, you too. um, so what can i get you both?" he asked leaning his hands on the counter.

valeria took a step back to look at the menu which gave alexis the opportunity to order first, already knowing what she wanted.

valeria gasped slightly and quickly apologized when she bumped into someone behind her.

she relaxed when she saw the familiar face, "oh, hey. what are you doing here?" she asked sapo who stood with two other guys who had scowls on their faces.

"maybe we should leave." alexis spoke up taking a step back when she saw the neck tattoo on the boy sporting a purple shirt.

"yeah. maybe you should." sapo spoke gruffly making his friends laugh.

valeria turned back to look at ray who nodded his head. "i'll explain later, ight?" sapo whispered, leaning down in her ear.

before she had a chance to reply, alexis had already grabbed her hand and took her out of there. "you've been around gangs all your life and can't recognize one?"

"what? nah, there's no way."

"i saw the tattoo on the bald kid's neck, val. they from 19th street."

valeria thought back to the conversation she overhead oscar having on the phone about 19th street and it wasn't good.

"shit."

***

when valeria got home she debated on whether or not if she should block him. she started biting off her acrylics to ease the anxiousness bubbling inside her. she was worried that the only reason he approached her was because he knew who her brother was, she was terrified that she had become a pawn in their game.

valeria had received a total of 8 messages from him and she left them all on read.

sapo🖤
mama, quit playin with me fr fr
i know your reading my messages.
can u just let me explain everything?
read

sapo🖤
please?

valeria cursed under her breath as her fingertips hovered over the screen before she got the courage to type out her message and paused to reassure herself she made the right choice before sending it.

mama🤍
srry. i don't
think we
should talk
anymore.

personally, i would've went to war for sapo but not everyone built like that ig. 🙄