twenty three

valeria was ecstatic to finally have cesar back home, safe and sound

   valeria was ecstatic to finally have cesar back home, safe and sound. she had missed having him bother her in the dead of night. the two siblings were currently walking back home from getting their morning donuts before school. "i heard monse sneak in your room last night. i could've sworn you told me you guys broke up."

"we did. she just needed a place to stay for the night since her dad is gone." valeria hummed teasingly causing cesar to suck his teeth and push her making the two siblings laugh.

their laughter died down when they saw a large tattooed man standing across from their home, cesar was quick to grip valeria's hand in his. "who the hell is that?" she whispered.

the two quickly got inside the safety of their home, "Hey! Hey! Hey! there's a dude posted up outside."

"both of you! stay inside." oscar demanded, quickly pulling his gun out from his waistband and cocking it as he stepped outside.

per usual cesar didn't listen and followed oscar to the porch, "oscar? who is that?"

"our father."

¥

valeria sat in between her two brothers as they all stared at their father who looked around at his surroundings taking a puff of his cigarette.

"so when did you get out?" cesar asked breaking the awkward silence. "yesterday."

valeria cleared her throat, "how was the ride here?" ray nodded his head as he eyes continued to wander over their house, "long. your beautiful, you know you look just like your mother."

oscar flared his nostrils, "don't speak to her."

"oscar it's okay i-"

"you both need to get to school." valeria was going to object but stopped when she saw her brother's harsh stare. cesar stood up first and picked up both of their backpacks. "see you later." she spoke before cesar lead her out the front door.

•••

valeria was trudging behind cesar and oscar as they walked through freeridge park which was hosting a carnival. oscar continued to laugh at jasmine who got food stuck in her hair from an annoying kid. "it's really not that funny."

"shut up monse." monse rolled her eyes at her comment but kept quiet. "what's wrong?" asked valeria when the smile disappeared from her brother's face.

"nothing, go buy yourself a churro." he was quick to reassure her as he handed her 10 dollars before walking away from the small group.

"he gave me way too much. do you guys want anything?" cesar and monse both shook their heads and the girl was off to join jasmine in the line.

after the two girls got their churros, jasmine abandoned valeria to hang out with a drunkenly intoxicated monse. the girl munched on her deep fried desert as she sat on a swing set, looking down as she kicked her feet. "ay, why you by yourself?" valeria looked up to see a boy around her age, dressed in a simple white tee and black jeans. "my friends ditched me."

"they not your friends then." he took a seat on the swing next to her a smile on his handsome tan face. "you don't mind if i sit here, do you?"

"well, you already sat down." he let out a small laugh and she took the time to admire his perfectly straight teeth. "your funny. what's your name?"

"valeria." he took her hand in his and leaned his head down to kiss the back of her hand, "beautiful name for a beautiful girl."

"you're so corny for that." she laughed pulling her hand back, "oh, i'm corny? damn that hurt." he laughed along with her and put his hand on his heart. valeria felt giddy inside as they continued to talk the entire night. it was around midnight and oscar had called her a total of 10 times, she was gonna be in a shit load of trouble when she got home.

valeria hurriedly stood up, "sorry i gotta get home. my brother is literally going to kill me."

"shit, i didn't even know we were talking that long." he stood up and she couldn't help but to notice that he towered over her which she very much liked. "we've been talking for hours and I still don't know your name."

"it's sapo." he said with a smirk. the two then exchanged numbers before heading off their seperate ways.