CHAPTER 7

"Are you sure you have everything?" Korra asks for the sixth time today.

"Ask me that one more time." I look her dead in the eyes and she flashes a bright smile before turning on the ignition.

"Just checking."

We exit the parking lot of my apartment building and the morning sun beats down on us in Korra's convertible. As we pick up speed, the wind grows stronger, pulling my short hair out of its strategic ponytail. My palms start to grow sweaty. I haven't been this nervous in a very long time.

Last night, I dreamt of Asher again. He took me to the class, brought me back; we went out for ice cream and just as we entered the apartment, he disappeared. I woke up with my pillow drenched in sweat and tears. Thankfully, Korra didn't sleep in my room yesterday. I already don't feel very good about this class but it's not like I can avoid it.

We drive silently for a few minutes as I fumble with the radio, not knowing what station to pick. I give up and finally settle on the news. A plane flies overhead and my eyes follow it until it's out of sight; I turn down the radio and sink in my seat. A nervous laugh escapes me as I adjust myself in my seat. I don't notice the tears streaming down my face until Korra reaches into the tissue box on the dashboard and hands me a fistful of tissues.

I mumble a 'thank you' as she pulls into the parking lot. We quickly find a parking spot and Korra carries my bag as we enter the hospital building.

"You can just sit here, I'll go ask the nurse at the desk where the class is." I settle on the uncomfortable chairs in the waiting area and Korra places my bag down before heading for the front desk.

Moments pass and I'm already starting to fall asleep on the chair when Korra briskly walks over to me, pulls me up by my arm and throws my bag over her shoulder with her free hand.

"Ok so I guess I got the time wrong because the nurse says we're half an hour late but don't worry, I don't think they started on time either." She says as we walk quickly down the long hallway.

We finally reach the end of the hallway and there's a door, slightly ajar.

"This is it." Korra says amidst her pants. We enter the class and everyone is seated on the waxed wooden floor. Seconds of awkward silence pass before the instructor calls us in.

"Please come in. There's no need to be shy." She stands up and guides Korra and me to spaces on the floor to sit.

"We just rounded up the introductions but I guess we can spare you a minute or two. Tell us about yourself." She gives me a bright smile that exposes wrinkles that say she's been doing this for quite a while.

"Morning everyone, sorry for being late. My name is Riona Daulton-Prescott. And this is my twin sister, Korra Prescott. I am a currently unemployed but my sister is a chef. And in case you didn't notice, I'm the pregnant one." I get a few laughs while Korra smacks her forehead.

"That's wonderful. I'm Matron Harlow but you can call me Mary. Now let's get right into it." The class officially begins but I can hear is Korra's annoying shuffling as she tries to find a comfortable way to fold her legs like everyone else.

Mary starts from the basic stuff since it's the first class; she explains the cramps, dilation and all the pre-natal stuff. We finally end it by watching a birthing video. The same video that made me puke so many times in high school. With about ten minutes left till we can leave, Mary hands out snacks – oatmeal cookies and orange juice – and gives us time to get to know each other. As expected, Korra and I stay seated on the ground as the other women and their partners start to mingle.