-ˋ 73

CHAPTER SEVENTY THREE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY VISITS COKEWORTH

. . .

"Good afternoon, Mrs Evans, I don't suppose Lily's in?" Tiger's voice ran clear into the hallway on the Evans household. A woman stood there, hair as blazing red as her daughter's.

"She is.. who is asking?" The woman replied, glancing out onto the sunlit street, where Tiger stood, tote bag swinging on her shoulder, a pair of flares, a rainbow top, tied above her belly button. A black hairband pulls her curls back from her face, and a pair of scuffed up converse peeked out under the bottom of her jeans.

She looked like the exact sort of person that Lily would be friends with. "I'm Tiger Howell, she might not have mentioned me before, but I started school with her in September." Tiger explained, twisting her hands, flashes of pink nail polishin the sun. 

"You might not have heard of me, but I'm sure you've heard of my.. boyfriend, James?" Tiger said, when the older woman frowned. "Hey James!" Tiger leant back, staring down the streets. "James Potter?" She repeated and a look of realistion appeared on Mrs Evans' face. 

James appeared besides Tiger, and Mrs Evans nodded. "Come in, please, I'm sure Lily would love to see you - she barely has any friends from school over in the holidays."

"This is a sort of surprise visit.. she doesn't know we're here." Tiger smiled, as Mrs Evans led them through to the living room, disappearing moments later.

"Lily!" They could hear her yell, and the rather familiar voice yelled back to her that she was coming down. They could hear someone walking down the steps, and Lily walked past the living room door, before freezing and moving back a few paces.

"No way." She said, smiling as she practically ran over to Tiger, scooping the girl up in a hug - and her mother's initial thoughts about Tiger was right, as James noticed that the Evans girl was wearing practically the same outfit as Tiger. 

"Surprise!" Tiger giggled, as she and Lily pulled apart, the ginger girl glancing at James, who brushed his fingers through his hair, looking around the living room. "I mentioned I wanted to come and see you, and next thing you know James had got me on a bus." 

"Oh Tigs." Lily smiled, hugging her friend again. "So how was your birthday?" She asked, looking down at James, who had sat down in one of the plush armchairs. 

"It was good.. Remus told me I couldn't date Tiger but it was good." James said, and Lily looked shocked, staring down at the boy. "It was because we got arrested."

"Sorry you got what?" Lily shouted, and the couple glanced at each other, smirks growing on their faces.

"You know, that's exactly what he said as well." Tiger giggled, before seeing Lily's and falling silent. 

"Look - we weren't doing anything that bad." James spoke up, sitting up, one hand pushing up his glasses and placing a hand on Tiger's knee. "We were just in someone's backyard."

"So you were trespassing?" Lily said, somewhat in disbelief. "You got arrested because you were trespassing?" Her voice rose slightly, and Tiger glanced at James. 

"Great.. more magical freaks." A rather dry voice came from the doorway, and James and Tiger's heads shot towards her. It was a woman, who looked older than Lily, but remarkably like her. 

"Excuse me?" Tiger asked, standing up, James rose beside her, and Lily hurried over to the door, muttering something to the girl before shutting the door. "Lils, what was that?" Tiger continued, as Lily sat opposite them. 

"That was my sister. Petunia. She doesn't really like that I'm a witch." Lily shrugged. "Or that I go to school for said witches, or that I have any witch or wizard friends."

"Well it's not your fault!" Tiger burst, James sitting back down, pulling the girl back down into the seat beside him. "How can she be mad at something that isn't your fault! You can't help that you were born with it."

"Tiger, I know, but she's my sister." Lily replied, and the pair on the couch frowned, not really knowing how to respond - neither having older siblings that they had to deal with.

"Tilly's so much easier to deal with. All you have to do is give her cake and sweets and give her that toy that Zonko's do. She'll be happy for hours." Tiger shrugged.

"I just have Sirius, and all I have to do is send him to Remus - preoccupied for ages, won't see him for hours." James chimed in, and Lily looked between the two. 

She was about to say something when Mrs Evans poked her head around the door. "I'm sorry about Petunia, but she's going off with Vernon now, so you're free to stay for dinner if you want - we're having toad in the hole."

"James?" Tiger glanced at the boy, who nodded, then Tiger looked back at Mrs Evans. "We would love to stay for dinner." They agreed.

And so, for dinner they would stay.