-ˋ 44

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THE GROUP ARE REUNITED

. . .

As much as Tiger tried to act normal, she couldn't help but remain quiet for the majority of the journey to Hogwarts. She barely engaged in coversation, staring at the countryside as it sped past.

Her hand stayed in James's though, only leaving it for the brief time it took her to eat a treacle tart, which James had once again bought her, in hopes of cheering her up.

Treacle the kneazle kitten had climbed out of her bag by her feet, and curled up on Tiger's lap, the girl's free hand lazily stroking her every now and again.

But as soon as Tiger was reunited with Lily, Marlene and Lydia, a smile appeared on her face that hadn't been there before. But her hand stayed firmly within James' and the three girls agreed to talk about it with her later.

"You alright?" James asked, after they had exited the carriage, and began walking through the entrance, the boy having flashbacks to Tiger's first day, and how she seemed so amazed and in awe of the building.

"Sort of." The girl shrugged, but then to James's surprise, she laughed. "I got kicked out." She said, a giggle following it. "My mum kicked me out." It was mostly out of disbelief, but James cracked a smile, knowing that Tiger was somewhat ok, even if it was just a little bit.

"Did you expect it?" He asked, Tiger stopping by the group of house elves which would drop off any other luggage to their dorms. She gave them the bag, the house elf peering in and mumbling a promise of sorting out the kitten and disappearing.

"I knew something would happen. I've never been able to talk back to my mum like that. I had no idea how she would react, and well.. here we are." She smiled a little. "It felt good."

"I bet. I remember when Sirius left." James said, and Tiger looked up at him. "He seemed so happy, it didn't really bother him. Just about his brother."

"Tilly." Tiger pouted, then shrugged. "I think dad is going to sort something out. I truly don't think he even knew the extent of it. He seemed to know that me and Grace disagreed on the odd thing or two, but.." She trailed off.

"Grace did it when he couldn't tell, right?" James said, as the pair slipped in seats for the beginning-of-winter-term feast. Lily had slipped in opposite Tiger, and smiled warmly at her.

"Behind his back. I used to not notice it. But it became obvious when I would be called into either the kitchen room or their bedroom when Dad and Tilly were nowhere to be found." Tiger sighed.

"My parents will sort everything out. I believe they were considering asking me and Sirius to share, or converting Sirius's room into two smaller rooms." James replied, and Tiger seemed slightly shocked.

"James, please. They can't go to all that effort. I just need to have somewhere to keep my stuff, and then I'll figure something out in the summer." Tiger looked horrified, and James frowned.

"What do you mean?" He asked, and Tiger shrugged, looking down at her empty plate.

"I'll have to work, won't I? I could get a job at that vintage store or the Leaky Cauldron or somewhere. I can't stay with you for over a year." Tiger seemed sligtly panicked at everything she was thinking about, and James gently took her hand, poking her cheek.

"Twiggy, you're not even seventeen yet. Worry about that stuff when it comes closer to the time. If you think about it, you'll just be staying with us for the holidays - and that's perfectly normal." James told her, his voice gentle.

"You're right. But I think I'll go to Madame Pomfrey and request something to keep my mind at ease." Tiger said, and James nodded, knowing she was talking about those potions which helped those taking exams stay calm.

The term always began with a speech, which usually lasted a short few minutes from Dumbledore, but it ended up being slightly longer. "I am happy to inform you all, that we have two new additions to the school. Olivia is a late transfer from Ilvermorny, and Miss Williams is going to be looking in a few classes this year." He announced, a smile on his face, looking around.

At the mention of Ilvermorny, most students nearby looked at Tiger, who seemed to have lost all colour from her face. The feast began, and Tiger ate nothing, peering down the table.

"I think.." She eventually said, after Lydia pointed out that she hadn't got any food yet. She was still staring down the table, and at that moment, the girl at the very end of the table with long blonde hair turned around, catching Tiger's eye. She smiled, and waved slightly.

The darker haired girl looked away immediatley, and stood up promptly. "This day couldn't get any fucking worse." She announced, and ignore the stares she was getting, and climbed out of her seat, walking quickly out of the hall.

The group of friends, a noticeable gap in between James and Lily, peered down at the table where the new girl was, and then up to the staff table, where McGonagall looked visibly concerned, muttering something to herself or Dumbledore beside her.

"What just happened?" Peter asked, and the only replies he got were of confusion. "That Olivia girl. Tiger knows her right?" He said.

"Obviously." Marlene said, and Peter shrugged, looking down at his plate. "James go after before McGonagall or she does." Marlene spat the second to last word, her eyes focused on Olivia.

"I don't know where.." James trailed off, before getting up and going after the girl, leaving the group empty of two seats. McGonagall seemed to look ready to go after both of them, but Dumbledore seemed to tell her not to.

Students all across the hall were mumbling to themselves, having watched the whole ordeal. Olivia seemed to like the attention she was getting, plenty of students having made the connection between Tiger and the girl.

But already, the group of friends were getting sort of bad vibes not only from Olivia, but also Miss Williams, who had a smirk on her face as she eyed the seat that Tiger was once in.

Nobody was sure what just happened, but the whole group seemed to be thinking the same thing. One by one, they left the hall, trying not to draw too much attention to themselves.

Tiger hadn't had a good day, and it seemed to be slowly getting worse and worse. It was when Peter and Lydia exited the hall that when Professor McGonagall got out of her seat, only to hear the words of Miss Williams.

"I've known her for so much longer, Minevra." The woman said, standing up. "I do think that the girl would prefer me to go after her." The new teacher shrunk back when she saw the look on McGonagall's face.

"Helena. I don't believe that Tiger would appreciate a faculty member of a school that expelled her to go after her. And from what I have been told, you were a rather prominent member of faculty there." McGonagall didn't hide the distaste in her voice.

"I suppose so." Miss Williams settled, and watched as the teacher swooped out of the hall, and she met Olivia's eye, a smile on the girl's face.

And this whole exchange was caught by none other than a boy with dark, curly hair sat at the end of the Slytherin table, someone who owed Tiger Howell a favour.

Tiger had expected the most drama that was to happen during that term was the feud with her parents. But apparently not.

Because there was no way that she could have expected her ex best friend and teacher to appear in the Great Hall that day.