-ˋ 60

CHAPTER SIXTY

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SIRIUS SPOTS THEM

. . .

Regulus and Tiger had talked for hours upon hours. Not just about Sirius, but a lot of their own lives. It was the sort of conversation that just continued, there were no breaks, no parts that felt awkward.

Tiger knew that Regulus wasn't entirely good - she had learnt as much through her time with Sirius and hearing tales from Remus over the years. But eventually, they decided that their friends would be wondering where on Earth they were.

And so they descended down the swirling steps from the top of the Astronomy tower, exchanging simple, quick goodbyes, heading in opposite directions. The corridors were seemlingly empty - however, minutes after the pair had split, it would be revealed not to be so empty as they once thought.

The oldest of the Black siblings stepped out from beside a column, frowning. He had been looking for Tiger, and James had suggested the Astronomy tower as being somewhere that Tiger liked to go and think.

He hadn't expected her to appear just as he arrived, and he certainly didn't expect to see his very own brother next to her. Thousands of questions travelled through his mind - how did they know each other, when had they met, why were they up the Astronomy tower together?

Regulus was the last person that Sirius had expected Tiger to be friends with. His mind skipped past any other explanation other than the two being friends, and dashed off to the common room, managing to reach it just after Tiger.

Sirius quickly said the password and made his way past the portrait, through the hall behind it. Tiger was sitting down on the sofa, right next to James. Her hand was already woven through his curls, gently carressing the back of his neck. 

It was a usual occurence, Tiger wasn't afraid of showing a little affection in public. And whilst nobody had actually seen them kiss or anything more than a kiss on the cheek, she generally showered him with affection.

And this was a common occurence even when their feelings weren't apparent. Tiger always would mess up his hair, or push up his glasses, tap her fingers in a tune on his arm whilst doing her homework. James was much more of a hugging or holding hands, eye contact from across the room, perhaps even a love letter or two - although Sirius believed that James was still waiting on that one.

Tiger was acting just as normal, and Sirius, in his current state of mind, was somewhat annoyed with him. She had just spent what he thought to be a good while with his brother - who, whilst Sirius worried about him - was not exactly his friend. 

How did Tiger even know him - it was just one of the many questions that Sirius was thinking about. He didn't want to accuse Tiger of anything, he just wanted to know exactly what and why she was up the Astronomy tower with his somewhat estranged brother.

Sitting in the smaller couch just to the right of the long one, Sirius settled into the seat next to Remus, wondering exactly when he should bring it up. 

The opportunity arose when a silence fell between the group, something that had come naturally, the topic of conversation just fizzling out. 

Sirius took the chance he had. "So Tiger." He said looking up from where he was fiddling with his ring, to meet the girl's eyes. "What were you doing with my brother up the Astronomy tower?"

Any quiet talking between the eight of the them stopped instantly, looking between Sirius and Tiger. The latter was blushing, whilst simultaneously looking confused - although Sirius couldn't imagine what for.

"Excuse me?" Tiger finally said, and beside Sirius, Remus sat forward, wondering what exactly was going on between his cousin and his best friend. 

"When I came looking for you, I was going to check the Astronomy tower, only to see you and Regulus leaving the doorway to the steps." Sirius continued, and at this point, everyone was confused. 

Tiger stammered, unable to come up with an answer. She had never mentioned the fact she had talked to Regulus on Sirius's birthday, or that her and Regulus would exchange greetings if walking past each other in a empty corridor. 

"Well.." She began, then stopped, having no idea where she was going with it. She couldn't explain what they were really doing - knowing that Sirius would never want to know that she had been telling his brother all about him. 

"Well?" Sirius repeated, looking at Tiger expectantly. "What were you doing with Regulus on the top of the Astronomy tower." He pressed, and at this point Remus stood up, between the two.

"Moony, move please. I want to know what Tiger was doing." Sirius said, and Remus tilted his head slightly, raising his eyebrow. "Fine, I'll do it nicely, now-" He stopped, using his hand to motion Remus to move out of the way. 

The Lupin boy only stepped to the side, deciding it was probably a good idea to stay close, in case it got too much and they were arguing. "Frankly, Sirius, I don't think it's in any of your interests, but I was talking to him."

"Pff." Sirius replied. "Why would you want to talk to him, you have nothing in common." He continued, not entirely realising how negative he was being to his brother. 

Truly, Regulus meant the world to Sirius, but all that he reminded him of was his parents. How Regulus hadn't left with him, how the younger boy had always been favoured, even when Sirius hadn't been sorted into Gryffindor.

He was, no doubtedly, turning these feelings of resentment into anger, and projecting them on Tiger, for no apparent reason other than he had never been able to put them anywhere before. 

Despite moving out of his home, it was still a sore subject for Sirius, and he had never really been able to speak out on it. Many of the group were realising it, and frowning, wondering what exactly Sirius was attempting to achieve. 

"Other than our thoughts of pitching ourselves off the top of the stupid tower?" Tiger retaliated, and the group stared at her. She only shrugged, glancing over in the direction of the portrait door, where Olivia had just stepped through. "And there's one of the fucking reasons why." She snapped, sitting back in her seat, arms folded.

"Oh good, you're all here." Olivia smiled, stopping by the group, pulling a pile of paper out of her bag. "Perfect! That makes it much easier for me, I don't need to chase any of you around - and you get to find out at the same time, how fun." 

"What are you talking about?" James asked, glancing to Tiger, who had a look of terrified defeat on her face. "Olivia, what are you doing." He continued. 

"Poor Jamesy, I don't expect you will want to date her after this." Olivia simpered, holding out the pile of paper, before setting it down on the coffee table. "Of course, you can choose whether you want to look at it or not."

"But it's time for you to find out the truth about your perfect little Tiger."

✧