Chapter 21: A Meaning to Everything

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

❝There are no such things as coincidences in a lonely world such as this.❞

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

     "ARE YOU OKAY?" Pharos stared worriedly at you as you sat silently on your chair.

He appeared after Sero left you alone in the classroom- he's the last one to leave once he finished asking you ten times if you were okay staying out this late (and if you were feeling fine after all that fighting in U.S.J). You could feel Pharos' desire to just appear beside you and his irritation at this tape-boy, but he didn't want to distract you from your conversation so he kept being invisible to you. And once you reassured Sero fully that you were okay, he still left the room with a hesitant glance towards you.

You let out a sound that sounded like an amused snort. "You know, I keep hearing that question a lot now."

"Perhaps it's because we're worried for you," Pharos said. He stood next to your table, staring at you as you looked at your hands in thought.

"I don't understand why," you said honestly. "But I guess that's to be expected. They did see me getting thrown like a ragdoll by that creature earlier." You chuckled.

Pharos paused. He was watching you smile gently. And you were reminded of something that happened earlier because of that. "Pharos."

"Hm?"

" 'The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed'," you said. You noticed how Pharos became alert at your words. " 'The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate'..."

"Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope," Pharos continued. "Yes, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed." He recited it as if he already knew the words by heart.

You looked at him, seeing only a solemn expression on the boy's face. He looked reminiscent, yet calm at the same time. "Do you know what that means?"

Pharos was quiet. You gave him some time to say his answer. Pharos is a part of you- he's the reason why you had this power after he made you sign the contract. Even if he's cryptic with answering your questions, you still appreciated it. It's better than knowing nothing after all.

"I'm sorry..." Pharos said slowly. "I can't say anything."

Your smile faltered. "Ah. That's okay. I'm just confused at what happened earlier... I heard a voice say that."

Pharos hummed again. "It has to do with your powers. That's all I'm allowed to say." He really looked apologetic, like a child that did something to disappoint their parent. It wasn't an unfamiliar feeling, but seeing Pharos looking like that made you feel a tad guilty.