Chapter 9: The Glare of Death

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

❝It's easy to get freaked out by something you can't see, don'tcha think?❞

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

     IT WAS A LETTER ADDRESSED TO YOUR NAME but you weren't the one opening it.

You didn't have the courage, nor the strength to snatch it back— although it was yours from the first place. Instead, a certain pale kid waved it on your face, as you held back a series of groans.

"Pharos.. do you like scaring me that much? You didn't need to pop out of nowhere and grab the letter from my hand you know," you said. Pharos stood next to your sitting form. He smiled innocently, yet his blue eyes twinkled in mischief.

"Whatever do you mean? I'm just excited to see the results of your effort. Aren't you the same? You've been iffy these past few days after all."

You fidgeted, swallowing the lump on your throat. It's not as if you were expecting the worse scores.. but you were expecting the worse scores. I mean, 6 points?! And after all those 'must fight to survive' experience with the 'Shadows'?!

Pharos' pursed his lips, his sight not leaving your nervous form. "Compared to what you usually are to other people," he began examining the envelope with a smile. "This honest version of you is refreshing to see."

You felt your eyes twitch. "You just like seeing me scared."

"What can I say? You're always so composed on the outside, so seeing you like this is nice."

"..just please give the letter back. I'll check it tomorrow."

"Why not now?" Pharos threw the letter in your lap, as you flinched at the sudden action. "Your mother left for her work, your sister is out there as well, isn't this the best time to check it?"

You glanced at Pharos' blue eyes, before looking back down at the letter.

The truth is: you were terrified. Your heart thumped loudly in your chest. You knew that there was a 1% chance of having a miracle played out for your benefit, but the thought of also failing at something you worked extremely hard for is.. painful to bear. Almost shattering your pride that you hid so well for years.

If you passed... then what? You see more of what will happen when you fail, instead of when you actually pass.

For example. What would your sister say if she finds out that you tried out the exam at the same time with her? Even if you don't tell her (and even if you coerced your mother to not tell her), the rumours in your school will quickly circulate— the 'quirkless' (L/n) tried out the notorious U.A. Entrance Exam and failed.