chapter twenty six

26

After going to the store, we finally make it back to Liam's apartment. Although he insists that he's fine and continues smiling, I can tell that's he's exhausted and in pain. We drop the grocery bags in the living room.

Liam breathes out heavily, but I notice his wince. Those three flights of stairs were probably a struggle for him, although he never let me see it.

"Why don't you go lay down for a little while?" I suggest, reaching up to caress his cheek. He leans into my hand, closing his eyes.

"No, I'm fine," he says. "Just a little tired."

"Liam," I say, looking up at him. He opens his eyes and stares back at me. I can see his exhaustion clearly. "You need to rest. Your body has been through a lot of trauma, and you need to let it heal."

"But-"

I shake my head and smile. "No buts. Go change into comfier clothes and lay down. I'll take care of putting everything away," I tell him.

Liam nods slowly. "Okay," he says through a yawn. "Maybe I'll just take a short nap."

I giggle a little. "Sounds like a good idea," I say. I stand up on my tip toes and gently press a kiss to his lips, to which he responds with a small smile.

He goes towards his bedroom while I go to grab the bags of groceries. I sort through all of the groceries and put them where they belong, finishing with his prescriptions.

  I make my way to his room, where Liam is now standing in front of his dresser, taking off his watch. He has undressed so that he's only in his boxers, but that's not what grabs my attention first. It's the deep purple bruising all over his torso.

  I can't help but gasp, which makes his head snap towards me. "Liam," I whisper, my eyes wide. I walk over, staring at the bruising. It makes my heart hurt to think about how painful this must be for him.

  He shrugs slightly. "It's not as bad as it looks," he says, but I'm not convinced. "The pain meds take the edge off."

  "I'm so sorry that this happened to you," I say, standing up taller to wrap my arms around his neck. I rest my face in the crook of his neck, breathing him in. He still manages to smell just like him, even though he's been in the hospital.

  "It wasn't your fault," he tell me, wrapping his arms around my torso. "I was turning when this eighteen wheeler just...drove into me." His voice cracks slightly. I assume that remembering what happened must be painful to think about. He tightens his grip around me.

  "You don't have to talk about it right now," I whisper. I stroke his hair as he holds his grip on me. I can tell that he just needs somebody to be there for him right now. I can do that. "Why don't we lay down?"

  Liam nods and slowly releases me from his arms. He folds back the sheets and blankets on his bed and climbs in, breathing in and out raggedly as more pressure is put on his ribs. I close the curtains on his window to make it darker, then kick off my shoes and shed my jacket. I climb into the bed next to him  and pull the covers up.

  He pulls me close and kisses my forehead. "When do you have the leave?" he asks quietly.

  "Not for a little while," I respond.

  "What about your parents?"

  I shake my head. "Don't worry about any of that right now. It'll all be okay," I tell him. "Just close your eyes and relax."

  He does as I say, his eyes closing. I run my fingers through his hair, which makes the corners of his mouth quirk up in a little smile. "I like it when you do that," he says, nuzzling his face closer to mine. "I like you."

  I grin. "I like you too," I say, continuing to comb through his soft hair. Before I know it, I've fallen asleep in his arms.

* * *

I slowly open my eyes, blinking several times. At first, I'm slightly disoriented about where I am until I feel Liam's warm body wrapped around mine. I smile when I realize he's still asleep, but gripping onto me like his life depends on it. I've waited so long for this.

  I manage to roll over so I can grab my phone and check the time. 5:30.

  Shit. I have to be home in thirty minutes.

  I sigh. I really don't want to leave Liam. I mean, I just got him. I want to spend more time with him.

  As gently as I can, I try to move his arms off of me so that I can get up without waking him. I know he's tired and needs his rest.

  His arms only tighten around me. "Liam," I whisper. "Liam, I have to be home soon for dinner."

  Liam groans slightly but doesn't move at all. "Liam," I say, slightly louder. "I have to go."

  His eyes flutter open for a brief moment before closing again. "No," he mumbles. "I don't want you to go yet."

  I smile slightly and stroke his stubbly cheek with my thumb. "I don't want to either," I tell him. "But my parents will actually murder me if I'm not home in time."

  He opens his eyes again, this time keeping them open. "I suppose you can go then," he says, rolling his eyes playfully. He gives me a tired smile. "Can't have you being murdered."

  I laugh as he retracts his arms, releasing me from his grip. I get up and slide my boots on, followed by my jacket. Liam sits up in the bed, rubbing his eyes.

"How are you feeling?" I ask, looking him over with a small frown.

He shrugs. "I'll be fine," he says. "Don't worry about me, alright?"

I roll my eyes. "It's not that easy," I say. "You've got something to eat for dinner?"

"I'll probably just order something," Liam tells me. "Now go, I don't want to get you in trouble."

I smile. "Fine," I say. "Call me if you need anything, okay?"

He nods and grabs me by the hips, pulling me in close. I lean my head down and gently kiss him, unable to stop smiling. "I still can't believe you're mine," he mumbles against my lips.

I giggle and kiss him once more before forcing myself to push away. "I really have to go now," I say.

"I know," he says. He gets up slowly and walks me to the front door. "I'll see you later?"

"Of course," I tell him. "Don't forget to take your medications, and make sure you eat something-"

Liam rolls his eyes playfully. "I know, Tare," he says. "I'm a big boy."

"Okay, okay," I surrender. I rise up on my tip toes and press a kiss to his cheek. "I'll go now."

I finally leave after one more kiss. I can't stop the smile that spreads across my face as I run down the stairs.

* * *

edited slightly: december 29, 2020

hey everyone. I know it's been wayyy too long, but I've been dealing with some personal stuff and the stress of school. so sorry that this is so overdue, but I hope that y'all enjoy it :)