chapter six

06

"Taryn, dinner-what the hell?"

Mom holds a hand to her chest, blinking rapidly. "Hey Christina," Liam says, waving with a smile. "How's it going?"

"How did you get in here? When?" Mom asks.

I click my pen. "Um, the front door? Didn't you see?"

She looks confused. "No. When?"

I look at the clock, surprised to see that it's six o'clock. "Two hours ago. He was helping me with calculus."

"Must have snuck by me," Mom says. "I was cooking dinner. Liam, do you want to stay to eat?"

"No, that's okay. I should get home anyways," he says, standing up and brushing the invisible dust off his jeans. "Thanks for the offer."

"Anytime, sweetie. Tell your mom I said hi, okay? Taryn, walk him out," Mom orders. I resist the urge to roll my eyes and set my homework down, then stand up and adjust my sock.

As Mom tells Reed and Sophie that dinner is ready (not Beth because she's back at college) Liam and I head down the stairs. "You little liar," he says, calling me out on what I said to my mother.

"I know, I know, I'm a terrible daughter," I say. "Sue me."

We get to the front door and I open it for him. "Thanks for the math help," I say.

"No problem. I've always been a math nerd," Liam tells me, tucking his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "Just call me if you need more help with it."

I frown. "I don't have your number."

He holds his hand out for my phone, so I unlock it for him and pull up the contacts. Liam types into my phone for a minute before handing it back to me with a grin. "Now you do."

I give him a small smile. "Cool. I'll see you around, yeah?"

"Yup. Bye."

He waves as he exits my house, heading across the yards to his own. I shut the door and lock it, and turn around to head to the dining room. My siblings (excluding Beth) are standing in front of me, arms crossed.

"I don't have your number," Reed says in a high pitched voice, making what looks like it's supposed to be a frown, but looks more like he's constipated.

"Taryn has a crush! Taryn wants to date him!" Sophie yells, her curly brown hair bouncing as she jumps up and down.

"Taryn doesn't have a crush, nor does she want to date him," I say, pushing past them to get into the dining room. I'm stopped by my father, who is now standing in my path.

"Taryn better not have a boyfriend, especially one that's five years older than her," Dad says, looking at me seriously.

I sigh and roll my eyes. "Father, I do not have a boyfriend. I do not want a boyfriend. Now, may I please go sit down for dinner?"

Dad gives me a look, then turns around and heads for the kitchen. We all sit down at the table that seats six, with one person on each end of the table and two on each side. Mom and Dad sit at the heads, while I sit next to Reed on one side with Sophie on the other.

As we start passing around food and eating, Sophie starts talking. "Taryn won't admit she has a boyfriend," she states, eating a bite of her food.

"She snuck out of Whitney's wedding with him," Reed says, smirking.

I narrow my eyes. "He took me home because my ankle was hurting," I lie. Well, it's not technically a lie, because he did take me home (eventually) and my ankle was hurting.

I look Mom and Dad in the eyes, a bite of food on my fork. "Reed skipped English class today and Sophie kissed a boy on the monkey bars last week at school," I say, eating a bite of food.

"Reed Daniel!" Mom gasps, looking at Reed in shock.

"Sophie Marie, your sister better be lying," Dad says sternly.

Sophie blushes a deep shade of red, even her ears turning red. Reed rests his elbows on the table and buries his face in his hands with a groan. I can't help but smile.

"That is so not cool," Reed mumbles.

I shrug without sympathy. "I can play the secret-spilling game too," I whisper, quiet enough so my parents can't hear.

"It was a dare!" Sophie defends. "And I washed my lips after."

"Why did you skip? Who did you skip with? Where did you go?" Mom asks, firing question after question.

Reed looks up. "I was bored. English is too easy."

I start to feel bad about ratting Reed out. I don't regret spilling Sophie's secret, though, because she gives me hell every day. But Reed is actually nice to me most of the time.

"Reed didn't actually skip today. He was just late because he was helping Coach McCarthy with the gym closet," I lie. Reed looks at me gratefully, mouthing thank you.

Mom crosses her arms and raises an eyebrow. "Why did you lie to me the first time? And you, Reed?"

I hear Sophie giggle as I try to think. "Um...because I was upset about him teasing me," I tell her.

"I was just trying to keep Taryn from getting in trouble for lying," Reed says.

"Well, neither you shouldn't lie to me, even if you're upset or trying to help the other. Okay?" Mom's face softens and she increases her arms.

I nod. "Yes ma'am."

If only she knew.

* * *

edited june 19, 2018