chapter twenty seven

27

I manage to turn sharply into the driveway of my house as the clock read 5:58. I sigh in relief and jump out, racing up to the front steps to make it inside before six.

"Look who decided to join us," Mom says sarcastically from the couch. "Excellent timing."

I shrug cooly. "I'm just that good," I joke. "Is Beth here yet? I didn't see her car."

I walk over to the loveseat and plop down, kicking my shoes off. The smell of lasagna and garlic bread fills my senses as Mom shakes her head. "She's running late, but should be here any minute now," she says. "Could you go check on your brother?"

I nod and grab my shoes before jogging up the stairs, pausing at my room to chuck my shoes in before moving to Reed's room. I flamboyantly throw the door open, like the annoying sister I am.

"I'm home!" I shout, smiling widely. Then I look at what's in front of me and my jaw drops.

"Fuck-"

I don't know what to say as I stand in the doorway with my eyes wide open as I watch Reed and Charlie jump apart as if they've been electrocuted, then struggle to put on their t-shirts. "Knock much?" Reed snaps. "Go!"

Both of their cheeks are beet red, and Charlie is looking anywhere but me and my brother. "Well, I've never had a school project that required this," I say, trying not to laugh.

"Taryn," Reed hisses. "Get. Out."

"Sure thing. But Mom sent me up here to check on you, so you should be glad that it was me who walked in and not her," I point out.

"Okay!" he says, then literally pushes me out of his room and shuts the door. I laugh and head back downstairs just as Beth walks through the door with a wide grin.

  "I'm home!" she says loudly. Our parents are quick to jump up and greet her at the door, hugging her tightly.

  "Hi sweetheart! How've you been?" Mom asks eagerly. Wow, I can certainly tell who's the favorite around here.

  Beth sheds her puffy coat and hangs it on the coat rack by the door. "Fantastic, actually," she says. "I have a surprise for you here in a little bit."

  Dad raises an eyebrow. "And what would that be?"

  Beth gives Dad a 'duh' look. "It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you," she states. "You'll just have to be patient."

  Our parents just shrug it off and continue obsessing over Beth and asking her plethoras of questions since she's been gone at college. Reed and Charlie come walking down the stairs, looking a lot less flustered besides the fact that neither of them will even glance in my direction.

  Mom smiles warmly. "Did you two get a good start on your project?" she asks. I want oh so badly to make a snide comment, but I refrain. As Reed mumbles an affirmation. "Charlie, you're more than welcome to stay for dinner, if you'd like."

  Charlie shakes his head. "No thank you ma'am, my parents want me home soon. But I appreciate the offer," he says politely with a kind smile.