chapter seventeen

17

"Taryn, wake up. We're here."

I groan and pout as I open my eyes. I see Jeremy and vaguely remember that he's bringing me to Liam's. "Jeremyyyy, you woke me up!" I whine.

"Great," he mutters. "Still drunk. I was hoping that thirty minute nap would help."

"I'm not drunk, silly! You're drunk!"

"Thank god I'm dropping you off. I can't deal with you any longer," Jeremy says. "Come on, princess. Let's go."

I stay still, and he sighs. He gets out and comes around. I wiggle around as he helps me out of the car and to my feet. However, my legs don't feel like working and I collapse against him.

"Damn it," he says through gritted teeth. "You're a pain in my ass."

Jeremy picks me up in his arms and begins carrying me towards the apartment complex. "3B," he murmurs repeatedly.

He grunts slightly as he begins climbing the stairs. I giggle. "You make funny sounds," I say, poking his face.

"I'm seriously thinking about leaving you on the stairs."

"Hey, do you need some help?"

Jeremy turns at the sound of the voice behind us. I close my eyes. He sounds like Liam. Liam is soooo cute.

"Yes, actually. Do you know where Liam lives?" Jeremy asks.

"Luckily for you, I am Liam- Taryn?"

I open my eyes and grin widely. "Liam! I missed you sooooo much!"

"You're drunker than I thought when you called," Liam says, giving me a once over. "Wait-who are you?"

"I'm Jeremy," Jeremy says. "Reed's best friend. I offered to bring her so Reed could relax."

"Well, thank you for making sure she got here in one piece. I can take her," Liam says, scooping his arms under me to hold me like Jeremy was.

"No problem. There actually a bag in the car that Reed said to bring. I'll get it now." Jeremy walks away.

  "What am I going to do with you?" Liam mutters, rolling his eyes.

  I smile lazily. "Carry me off into the sunset, cowboy!"

  He tries to hold back a laugh, but fails. "I'll think about it, cowgirl," he says. "Can you walk?"

  I shake my head back and forth, a little too much. "Nope. I'm veryyyyyy unstable."

  "Mentally or physically?"

  "Mmmmm.....both."

  Liam laughs again. "You're fun when you're drunk," he says, adjusting me in his arms. I wrap my arms around his neck and rest my head on his chest.

  "So I've been told," I mumble, suddenly tired again.

  "I'm back." Jeremy reappears next to us with my bag in hand.

  "Thanks man. You mind bringing that up? It would be a lot of help," Liam says, his chest rumbling beneath my head.

  "No problem," Jeremy says. "Lead the way."

  Liam climbs the last two flights of stairs, seemingly without much effort. We make it to his apartment, where he leans me against the wall so he can unlock the door.

Liam picks me back up again and carries me in. "You can just set the bag on the couch," he tells Jeremy. "Thanks again."

"Really, it was no trouble. Maybe a little pain in my ass, but nothing I couldn't handle," Jeremy says. "Bye, Taryn. I'll see you around."

With that, he leaves and closes the door behind him. "I think you need to get some sleep," Liam says as he heads for the bedroom.

I yawn. "But I'm not tired," I mumble.

"Tell that to your yawn," he scoffs. Liam lays me down on the bed and takes my shoes off. "I'll put some Advil and water on the nightstand. Do you get sick when you're drunk?"

"Nope! I can hold my liquor," I say, wiggling around on the bed. I take my pants off, not caring that Liam is standing right there.

"Wow, um-okay," he says, turning around quickly. "Do you want some shorts or something?"

"I can't sleep in shorts, ding dong!"

"Right. Um, I'll be back."

I try to get comfortable, but I can't. My bra is digging in everywhere. I sit up with some difficulty and take off my shirt, revealing the camisole I have on underneath. I unclasp my bra and pull it out of the top of my tank top.

I sigh. Much better. I maneuver around the blankets and untuck them so I can cover up. Liam comes back in and freezes when he sees most of my clothes on the floor.

"Are-are you wearing anything?"

I nod sleepily. "Yes. A tank top and underwear."

He sighs a little in relief. "Here's a glass of water and some Advil. I'll see you in the morning," Liam says, patting my shoulder.

I grab his arm. "Wait- don't go."

Liam turns back around, confused. "What?"

"Stay with me. Please?" I say, sticking out my bottom lip.

"Tare, you're very drunk. I don't think I should," he says hesitantly.

He's such a gentleman. Sigh. "It's okay. Please?" I say again, batting my eyelashes.

Liam stays silent for a moment. "Just until you fall asleep, okay?"

I smile and scoot over a little, making room for him. Liam kicks off his shoes and turns out the light. He lays down on top of the covers, on his back, about half a foot away from me. I move a little closer.

"Liam?" I whisper.

He turns his head towards me. "Yeah?"

"Do you think I'm pretty?"

"I think you're beautiful, Tare," he whispers back. He turns into his side, to face me completely. "Why do you ask?"

I yawn for the millionth time. "Because I want you to think so."

"And why is that?"

"It's a secret," I murmur, my eyes closing.

Liam laughs quietly. "Get some sleep, Tare," he says, pushing my hair behind my ear with his fingertips. He presses a short, sweet kiss to my forehead just as I finally fall asleep.

* * *

edited: june 30, 2019