chapter twenty five

25

The next day, I wake up with a giant grin. The first thing I think about is how Liam is all mine now. I want to go see him again, but I know that's probably not going to happen.

I could call him. But I don't want to seem needy.

I huff and roll my eyes. I just seem to move from one dilemma to the next.

I throw my covers off of me and stand up, yawning as I stretch. After searching for a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, I finally get dressed and jog downstairs. I see Reed at the island in the center of the kitchen, drinking a cup of coffee. As I get further into the kitchen, I see my parents at the dining room table eating eggs and bacon like they do almost every morning.

"Good morning!" I chirp, pouring myself a cup of coffee.

Mom and Reed both raise an eyebrow at me. Dad avoids my eyes, as he has been for a while now. "You certainly are chipper this morning," Mom says.

"Haven't even had your coffee yet," Reed adds.

I shrug. "I'm just in a good mood today. I think I might bake something."

"May I suggest blueberry muffins? Those are my favorite," Reed says.

I wink. "Maybe. You have been very nice to me lately."

Mom clears her throat. "Beth is coming home today for the holidays," she says. "We're going to have a family dinner tonight. Lasagna with garlic bread and salad."

Reed and I nod in unison. Whenever Beth comes home from college, we always have a family dinner. Everyone is required to be there, no exceptions.

"Where's Sophie?" I ask. I haven't seen that kid in a while. I swear she's always gone.

"She's been staying with Grandma for the last couple weeks. She didn't need to be around all of the...drama that was going on," she says. I try not to make a face when she calls everything that happened 'drama'. I really don't feel like rehashing everything, so I just nod.

  "Do we have any plans for the day?" I ask, taking a long sip of my coffee.

  "Your father and I have some errands to run. We're leaving around eleven and won't be back until about four. You two are free for the day," Mom says. "If you decide to go anywhere, just make sure to be back by six for dinner."

  We nod again. Mom and Dad get up to rinse their dishes and head upstairs, presumably to get ready to leave. Reed turns to me with expectant eyes.

  "Can I help you?" I ask.

  "Can you really make those blueberry muffins?"

  I roll my eyes. "Yes, Reed. I'll make your damn muffins."

  "Yes!" he cheers. "I love you!"

  He smothers me in a hug, spinning me around. I laugh as he sets me down. "Yeah yeah, love you too."

* * *

I sigh with content as I take a bite of the warm, sweet blueberry muffin. Holy shit that's good.

Reed runs into the kitchen from the living room and snatches a muffin from the rack they're cooling on. "Oh my god you even put the little sugar crystals on it," he breathes. "I'm so lucky that one of us can cook and bake."