Chapter 125: A Merchant's Battle

Start from the beginning

The merchants shared a chuckle. Despite them acknowledging and respecting the existence of gods, for these men and women who believed first in cold cash, relying on providences from the gods was a laughable endeavor.

"Heh point's getting clearer," Coop harrumphed with a short laugh. "This' where we come in, isn't it?"

"Exactly!" Miote exclaimed with a toothy grin. "We merchants allow food, water, clothing, materials for shelter, medicine, and most importantly, syros to flow between regions. These influxes can help a small village that finds a good mine or fishing spot to flourish, bringing more money from outside, allowing investments in the village to upgrade its standard of living. Improved standards of living allow humes to graduate from needs to wants. Thousands of jobs spring up all over the place to facilitate these wants because although needs can be satisfied, a person's wants never are. There will always be something more beautiful, more outstanding, more prestigious!" Miote forced his voice, which had begun to rise, down as he continued, "Thousands of people feel secure in their jobs because merchants are there to ensure their products get sold, if not to someone of the same town, then to the next town over where there is an actual need."

"This is why I always maintain that there is no merchant who is useless or unimportant." Miote's gaze brushed past each merchant in turn. "Take Fox-san as an example. As one of the biggest traders in the textile industry, you ensure the latest fabrics arrive on time in each region and in the best condition to satisfy both the poor's needs and the wants of the rich. It is easy to focus on the millions of syros that exchange hands during these deals but take a closer look. Farmers get paid for the original crops; tailors get paid for weaving these crops into fabric. There is the exchange between your industry and Frye-san's in which mercenaries get paid to transport your products across monster-filled lands safely. Before even, you finally get to the nobles who want these fabrics for the latest gala or ball."

Marlo Coop, who like the others, had long since abandoned any ridicule in their hearts, gazed at the chesch with narrow eyes, voice grave as he said, "You've our attention. Enough bullshite, get to the poi—"

"Power!" Miote boomed with tightly clenched fists. Money is the lifeblood of a nation! But we can only get money from the people's taxes! Also, the people, in turn, can only return taxes on their standard of living! Rich people lead to a prosperous nation! A poor populace leads to a poor country! And who is responsible for ensuring the public becomes rich? The royal family? The elders? The guilds? No!

"We merchants are directly responsible. Without we men and women willing to risk our lives in these harsh lands for profit, there wouldn't be any circulation, and hence the blood of the nation would stop flowing and turn stale." Miote's gaze was intense, holding the merchants in his thrall, "As the people directly responsible for ensuring the flow, do you think we are powerful or not?"

Marlo Coop started, Fox ducked his head, and Frye frantically tapped on the table, eyes glazed over. Damah Dumm let out a serene smile as he answered, "We should be powerful..."

"But we are not," Miote finished, voice heavy. "Take a look at the Adventurers' and Mages' Guilds. Both are simply a coalition of all the adventurers or mages who sign up. Yet they are so powerful that no country would dare mess with them." Miote took a breath, rage, and dissatisfaction burning in gold eyes. "How is it possible that we, who control the blood of the nation, have no actual power in it beyond our direct businesses?"

"...Competition," Frye muttered, voice laden with irritation.

"No," Miote shook his head, understanding her frustration. Competition is an essential aspect of our business. Without competition, progress will stale, and although blood will flow in the nation, its quality will always remain the same. No, our problem is not competition exactly." He momentarily shut his gaze as he took a breath. "Our problem lies in the unchecked competition that inevitably leads to chaos."