Chapter 20

A/N: Hi. This is the last chapter of Ruthless Beauty. Thank you for making it this far despite the setbacks and slow updates. A lot has changed from the original plot I was planning to write before. This novel may or may not have helped me improve my writing but I'm grateful for the experience. Anyway, enjoy :)

Chapter 20

My first instinct was to run. Run as fast as I can or scream as loud as I can to get anyone's attention and alert them that she is here. She's back. She looked magnificent yet scary, sitting casually at our kitchen countertop while sipping her wine as if she has not done all those horrible things.

"Won't you join me here, Anna? It is impolite and rude to just stare at me all night long. We have plenty to talk about."

My knees are wobbling and the muscles in my stomach are knotted intensely. I'm really scared right now but I dare not show it on my face. It remained blank and passive as I stared at her.

"What are you doing here?"

"Checking up on you, of course."

"I don't understand. Weeks ago, you were locked up—"

"Oh, please. You're a smart girl, Savannah." She glanced at me slyly through her thick lashes. Her red lips moved slowly in a mischievous smile. "I'm sure you've already figured it all out, you just chose to ignore it."

I licked my lower lip, trying to regain composure. If I lose my shit here, I wouldn't be able to get what I want. I'm screaming on the inside and my hands are trembling. Pinisil-pisil ko ang mga daliri sa likod upang kalmahin ang sarili. I refuse to believe what I'm seeing right now is real...

"Is your husband still sleeping?" she casted a dangerous glance upstairs and it took all my willpower not to run into her and smash the bottle against her head. Nanatili akong nakatayo. "Hmm, that's too bad. Gusto ko pa naman sana siyang kausapin. I guess that leaves the two of us." She smiled and tilted her head a bit.

Iniwas ko ang tingin. How can someone as beautiful and seductive as her be so terrifying? Hindi ko na makontrol ang panginginig ko. Even her voice makes me shiver in cold fear. I've seen what she's done before and I know she is capable of more.

Ikinuyom ko ang mga kamao ko. I'm so angry at her. Just staring at her makes me want to bathe in blood but I'm over that. Instead, I wanted to manage the situation calmly and confirm theories that are already swirling inside of my head.

"You're not Valerie..." it wasn't even a question. It was a statement.

"Took you this long to figure it out? I'm disappointed." She pulled out a stick of cigarette from her purse and for an instant, I almost had a heart attack thinking it was a dagger that she'd shoot straight at me from where she is sitting or a gun to bury a bullet in my head.

The flick of the lighter echoed inside the kitchen as she lit her cigarette and took a deep drag of it, releasing rose-scented smoke and watching me warily through the thin haze of smoke.

"Where is she, then?" nanginginig ang boses kong tanong sa kaniya. "Where's Valerie?"

"Why are you asking me? You already killed her."

"What?!"

She smirked and patted the ashes out of her stick before taking another drag. "Oh, honey. Don't act so innocent. You're just as evil as I am..."

"No, I'm not..." I couldn't find the conviction in my voice as I shook my head weakly. Gusto kong masuka sa sinasabi niya pero hindi ko magawa. I'm so twisted up inside.