Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I put on my shades to shield my eyes from the glaring sun and climbed out of my white sports car. Naningkit ang mga mata ko habang nakatanaw sa labas ng ospital, looking for that familiar, slim figure. Inayos ko ang strap ng bag ko at tuluyan nang naglakad papasok.

The entire place smelled of alcohol and disinfectant. Doctors and nurses are talking in hushed voices. It's already 11 in the morning but they all look so tired. Lahat ba sila graveyard shift?

"Savia!"

I turned and saw her, glowing in her white lab coat as she ran towards me. She's wearing their baby blue uniform and a pair of crocs. As soon as she neared me, I pulled her into a hug.

"Tina!"

We both squealed in the middle of the emergency room, getting the attention of many. Some doctors are already glaring at us kasi kami lang dalawa ang nag-iingay dito. Tina quickly composed herself and cleared her throat.

"Miss De la Rua, let's go to my office." She said and bit her lower lip, looking away.

Pinigilan ko ang pag-ngisi ko at sinundan siya. I followed her to the staff room while we were talking.

"OMG. How long has it been? Five? Six years?"

"Five years." I rolled my eyes. "You've completed your residency."

"Yes." She grinned. "I'm specializing CS."

There are some doctors lounging around the staff room, obviously tired. But Tina isn't like them. She's so full of energy. Her makeup is still fresh and her hair is tied in a ponytail, with her soft curls bouncing every time she walks.

"Coffee?" she asked. I shook my head and smiled. "Pasensiya ka na. Parang nagiging tubig na ang kape dito. I think I developed tolerance for caffeine. Hindi na um-epekto sa akin," she chuckled, leaning against her small desk. I could see piles of medical books and papers scattered around. Some doctors are sleeping on their desks, obviously tired.

"Ayos lang ba na dito tayo mag-usap?" bulong ko sa kaniya.

She waved her hands in dismissal. "Ayos lang, no! There was a bus accident last night. 20 patients were rushed into the hospital so the ER staff is just..." she gestured to the sleeping doctors. "tired."

I gave her a rueful smile. Naaawa ako sa kanila at the same time, malaki rin ang respeto ko sa mga doktor. Grandma is a retired doctor. She's an anesthesiologist. Ang alam ko, balak din sana ni Mama na ipagpatuloy ang yapak niya kung hindi lang siya nabuntis nang dahil sa akin.

"So, when are you going back?" she asked, tracing the rim of her paper cup.

My conversation with Atty. de Guzman rang earlier inside of my head. Until now, I still can't believe what I heard from him. It was hard for me to differentiate illusion from reality.

"By the end of the week. I started packing my things already." Sagot ko sa kaniya.

She nodded and took a sip. Inilapag niya ang kape sa tabi niya at pinagmasdan ako.

"And you said you're going to need me?"

My eyes gleamed and I nodded. Then I proceeded to tell her about the entire situation.

Tina's eyes widened as I detailed what happened and what's going to happen. She gasped in horror.

"If you're not gonna slap her in the face, Karma will..." she said out loud, still dazed.

"That's why I need your help. Can you come with me this weekend? I heard she's throwing a party for her birthday."

Tina reached for me and squeezed my arms. She nodded. "Of course, I'm going with you. Hindi kita pababayaan dun."