Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I cried all night in bed and woke up with puffy eyes, expecting my mother to be the same.

Hindi ko nakita si Mama dahil abala ako sa pag-aayos para sa birthday party niya mamaya. She sent a stylist for me who gave me a disapproving look after seeing my swollen eyelids.

"Masyado ka pang bata para iyakan ang isang lalaki, Anna." Ani Greta, ang matagal nang nag-aayos sa akin. I've grown comfortable with her that my mother, even though she has moved next town, still contacts her whenever I needed a make-over for some event.

"Hindi po ganun yun..." tahimik kong wika.

My heart throbs in pain as I imagine what would be the scenario later on. My mother would be very sad, celebrating her birthday party and her last day in the mansion. I wanted to go to her room right now and hug her, tell her everything's going to be fine, but I can't even convince myself.

Gusto ko munang ako mismo ang maniwala na magiging maayos lang kaming dalawa. I grew up in a happy family and losing my father to another woman is so shocking to me.

"Well, put on your dress first and I'll start your makeup." She instructed, ignoring the sad tone of my voice.

Tumango ako at sinunod ang gusto niyang mangyari. The sleek, white dress is by Roberto Cavalli. It was a limited-edition dress that I am supposed to wear on my 17th birthday. But since I could no longer see myself celebrating another event in this mansion, I decided to wear it tonight and just leave it here.

My grandparents will be waiting for us after the party. Mama's parents are rich and sophisticated. The way my grandmother held the tiny French tea cup in an elegant manner made me conclude that elegance really runs in the blood. She's just like my mother, only with graying hair and darker shade of lipstick.

I glanced at myself at the full-sized mirror when I stepped out of the bathroom. Greta nodded approvingly after seeing my dress and gestured for me to sit in the faux fur chair to start my makeup.

Una niyang kinulot ang dulo ng buhok ko at nagsimula na siya sa kaniyang obra. She specializes in angelic, glam look that my mother always approves of. Even though it takes hours for her to finish the entire process, the results are always rewarding.

My eyes turned soft with the rosegold eyeshadow and some silver glitters running down the lines of my cat-like eyes. It emphasized my dark orbs. Greta did well popping out my favored features to its best advantage. Cheekbones high and stuffed lips. The soft curl of my hair framed my small face. She clipped some gold star earrings to my ears to finish the angel look.

By the time we were finished, my neck is throbbing in pain. The puffiness of my eyes was hidden expertly by the makeup. I sighed inwardly and hoped that my mother's stylist would do the same for her.

Pagkatapos akong ayusan ni Greta ay bumaba na kami. Housekeepers are swarming around, busy and almost panicking. I couldn't find my father in the crowd, and was glad that he isn't around. I'm not ready to deal with him again.

"A-Anna..."

Nilingon ko si Baste at nakitang nakasuot siya ng suit and tie. A small smile crawled on my lips when I saw how awkward he stood in front of me. Hindi siya sanay sa ganitong mga damit kaya siguro naninibago.

"Nirentahan lang 'to ni Tatay sa kapitbahay namin..." tila nahihiya pa niyang wika.

"Bagay sayo."

Baste flushed and for a moment, stood there panicking and didn't know what to do. To put him at ease, I laid a hand on his shoulder. Nanigas siya at nanlalaki ang mga matang napatingin sa akin.