Chapter 6

Chapter 6

In fairytales, the princess would always stay inside the castle of her royal parents, protected from the world and secured for the rest of her life.

But other princesses are just stubborn. They would trade the comfort of the kingdom for the euphoria of outdoor adventures that awaits. Some of them started wearing heavy boots instead of their glass slippers and traded their enormous ball gowns for a full-steel armor.

In the modern world, princesses are becoming their own knight in shining armor.

Ito ang iniisip ko paggising ko pa lang. It was such a long night, and true to Blake's words, sumakit nga ang paa ko. I groaned out loud and grabbed a pillow, burying my face and stealing a few minutes of sleep. I fought the urge to doze again or I'm going to miss my first period class. Mabigat man sa loob ay bumangon ako at tamad na naglakad patungo sa bathroom.

Nagtataka ako kung bakit hindi ako kinatok ni Mama ngayon. Usually, she's up and early to make sure that I am getting ready for school. Kapag naman may ginagawa siya sa kusina ay si Manang Joji ang pinapadala niya upang gisingin ako.

This morning, both of them are absent.

Dali-dali akong naligo at nagbihis. Every time I remember what happened last night, a small smile would creep to my lips. I could even still smell Blake's expensive perfume clinging to my skin as I let the hot water run through my frail body.

Pagkatapos kong magbihis ay bumaba na ako. I was such in a good mood but it slowly faltered when I heard angry voices in the kitchen.

"Why hire her? I'm sure you're aware, Simone, of the reputation of that woman!"

"Anna, you're being unreasonable. I hired her because of her competence. Atsaka, may anak na ang tao, Anna. Do you really think that she's capable of what you're thinking right now?"

"Oh, I don't know, Simone!" Mama said in a controlled angry voice. "My amigas warned me of that woman."

"That means you don't trust me."

"It's not that—"

"Mama... Papa..." dahan-dahan akong naglakad patungo sa kusina. Both of them went silent when they aw me. Nag-iwas ng tingin si Papa habang si Mama naman ay manipis ang linya ng mga labi, halatang galit. "May problema po ba?"

When no one bothered to answer me, Manang Joji immediately interrupted me with a kind smile. "Halika, hija, at kumain ka muna ng agahan. Usapang matatanda yan kaya dun muna tayo..."

I hesitated for a bit and watched them with sad eyes. Mama nodded encouragingly at me, while Papa remained silent and unmoving. Tumango na lamang ako at mabigat ang loob na sinundan si Manang Joji sa kusina.

I could still hear them arguing as I ate my breakfast. It's very unusual for them to argue this early in the morning. Just like other couples, Mama and Papa have their fair share of arguments, too. But most of the time, it's about business they're arguing and nothing else. Ngayon lang naiba ang usapan.

I heard Papa's car screeched down the pavement, alerting me that he's left for the office without even kissing me goodbye. Mas lalo pa atang sumama ang loob ko habang nagsisipilyo. Mayamaya pa ay pumasok si Mama sa kusina at nagtimpla ng kape.

"Ano bang nangyayari sa inyong dalawa ni Simone, Anna?" tanong kaagad ni Manang Joji sa kaniya. Since both my parents lost their own parents at a vey young age, si Manang Joji na ang tumayong nanay para sa kanilang dalawa. Anastasia De la Rua, no matter how old and successful she is, still seeks for guidance from the wise, old lady.