Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"Did you lock the door?"

Blake looked up, confused. I sat unrest at the edge of the bed, glancing nervously at the doorway.

"Palagi ko namang nilo-lock ang pinto, ah? Bakit?" nagtataka niyang tanong.

"Did you double-check?" I said, full of anxiety.

"Why? Are you worried that your cousin will hear us?" he smirked. "Don't worry. Last I checked, all private rooms are sound-proof."

Hindi ako umimik. Nawala ang ngisi sa mga labi ni Blake at nilapitan ako.

"Ok. Something's definitely wrong. What is it, Anna?"

Nag-iwas ako ng tingin sa kaniya at kinagat ang ibabang labi. I don't know how to explain it to him without sounding like a crazy woman. Napakababaw ko pa kung papatulan ko ang mga sinabi ni Valerie na ngayo'y nakakulong sa isang mental institution?

I fidgeted with my fingers nervously. I don't know where to start. I've avoided it for too long and now I just have to confront it to him. He deserves to know. What's the point of getting married if I can't even trust him with my problems?

"Anna...?"

I sighed and ran a frustrated hand through my hair. Nag-angat ako ng tingin sa kaniya. I feel so guilty that all I do is make him worry about me all the time. I know he said he's going to stick with me even if things go shitty but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try to fix things up, right?

"It's Valerie..."

Naningkit kaagad ang mga mata niya at nagseryoso. Blake sat in front of me, holding my hand and patiently waiting for me to continue while I try to find the right words.

"I-I don't know what she's talking about, really... it's just... I received this very creepy letter that must only be coming from her and went to confront her about it... and then she said it's not her and said something like imprisoning the wrong person."

"Please tell me you didn't go alone to that mental institution." There were silent pleading and frustration in his voice. I can't believe he blatantly ignored the fact that I lied to him and cared more about my safety.

Namuo ang mga luha sa mata ko at marahang umiling.

"No, I didn't... Salvador was with me."

Blake gave a huge sigh of relief.

"But Blake..." I looked up to him, tears streaming down my face. "I can't sleep well ever since that day. What does she mean by that? From my point of view, she's trying to say that it wasn't her all along. That there is someone else and she's coming for me. I-I'm afraid... I even asked my cousin to spend the night here because I'm so paranoid that she might just show up and do something evil!"

"Anna... shh..." inalo ako ni Blake nang tuluyan na akong mapaiyak.

"I hurts to see her like that, so empty and dead. I did that to her, right? I might as well have killed her. She said because of me, she can't protect her kids anymore. What if I'm putting them in danger by locking up Valerie? The doctor said I shouldn't take what she said seriously because she is mentally unstable... but... but..."

"Anna, nothing bad is going to happen to you, okay?" he assured me. "I'm here. Your family is here and we will protect you no matter what. Kahit ako ay hindi rin maintindihan kung anong ibig sabihin ni Valerie. But if she's trying to spell out danger for you, I promise you she won't be able to touch even a strand of your hair again. Can you leave this to me, hmm? You don't need to worry about it."