Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I decided not to tell Blake about the red envelope I saw yesterday. I kept it inside my bag and tried to shrug it off. It must have been just a sick joke. I don't believe it is from Valerie. Hindi ako pinatulog sa gabing iyon kakaiisip kung totoo nga ba ang nakasulat kaya kinabukasan ay tinawagan ko kaagad ang mga pulis.

"Nalipat na po si Ms. Sarriet sa center, Ma'am. Huwag po kayong mag-alala, hindi na po kayo guguluhin ng babaeng 'yon."

But I didn't believe his words. I wanted to a solid assurance that my family and I will be safe forever from her poison so I decided to visit her myself. hiningi ko ang address ng mental institution kung saan siya dinala at hindi naman ako binigo ng pulis.

"Aalis ka?" tanong sa akin ni Blake habang pinagmamasdan akong nag-aayos ng mga gamit ko sa bag.

"Yes. I'm meeting Valentina." I quickly lied.

"Oh? Where to?"

"You know, just girl's shopping." I shrugged. "Nothing important."

Blake stared at me from the reflection of the vanity mirror and then slowly nodded.

"Sige. Ihahatid na kita."

"It's okay. Salvador will drive me. Just stay here and babysit Barin. He'll be bored when I'm gone." I went to him and gave him a quick kiss on the cheeks. "I'll be back before you know it."

Dali-dali na akong bumaba bago pa man siya mag-protesta. I wore a pair of black slacks today and a white chiffon blouse paired with big sunglasses. I don't want anyone to spot me going to the mental institution where Valerie is being held.

"Salvador, huwag mo nang banggitin kay Blake kung saan tayo nagpunta," wika ko habang papalabas. "Hintayin mo lang ako dito sa labas. Hindi naman ako magtatagal sa loob."

"Yes, Ma'am! No problem. Dun lang po ako sa kanto, ice cream lang, ang init kasi, eh." He said happily.

I nodded and went inside with a grim look on my face. I thought that was the last time I'm ever going to see her again. I don't want to feed myself with a daily dose of bad memories but I have to talk to her or at least confirmed that she is behind bars and could do nothing to hurt us.

I asked the desk girl about Valerie and after confirming my identity, she led me right to the visiting room. I sat on one of the white block plastic chairs and nervously waited for her. I wonder if any of her kids visit Valerie here?

The door opened and I instantly perked up. Halos mapanganga ako nang makita ang hitsura niya. She lost the glow and seductive aura she once have. Her body shrunk. She's almost skin and bones and she's so pale. The trembling fear in her eyes is palpable when she lifted her face and saw me.

Hindi ko alam ang gagawin. Nanatili akong nakaupo at nakamasid sa kaniya habang lumalapit siya sa akin. nanlisik ang mga mata niya at huminto sa paglalakad ilang pulgada ang layo mula sa kinauupuan ko.

"Anong ginagawa mo rito?" malamig niyang tugon sa akin.

Without hesitation, I pulled the red envelope from my bag and put it on the table. Valerie didn't even glance at it.

"What's this all about, Valerie?"

"Wala akong alam sa sinasabi mo."

Pissed, I stood and grabbed the letter again, forcing it to her.

"You clearly sent that goddamn letter to scare us! What are you up to, huh?"

She glanced tiredly at the crumped red envelope and sighed.