Chapter 9

Chapter 9

It was with years of training that I managed to smile in front the murderess who killed my family. Only people with class can execute natural graciousness and cool confidence in trying times like this.

My insides were shaking with so much anger and resentment, my mind exploding with possibilities of how to avenge my families. And my heart is pounding really hard, reminding me that I still have to be a human after all.

I stared at her eyes. Those dark, evil orbs that tempted my father. Any man who stares at her for more than a few seconds would surely get lost in that beaut.

"You're saying that she's sick?"

Tinanggal ko ang tingin mula sa imahe ni Valerie nang mapansing kanina pa ako nakatitig sa mga mata niya. It was an old photo of her in black and white.

"Cardiomyopathy." Atty. de Guzman rubbed the bridges of his nose. Tinanggal niya ang suot na reading glasses at inilapag ito. I am sitting in front of him, with my hands shaking as I hungrily scanned the printed data. "Dalawang beses na siyang inatake. Unfortunately, she needs heart transplant soon. Her own heart cannot function properly anymore."

"Isn't it because of all the poison she's kept inside?" I scoffed sarcastically. I tossed the papers back at the coffee table. Atty. de Guzman's wife, Aya, came back with a tray of coffee.

"She's been diagnosed two years ago. Hanggang ngayon ay naghahanap pa rin sila ng donor."

"Who would want to donate to that witch? Kahit pa mapalitan niya ang puso niya, mananatili pa rin siyang sakim!" I clenched my fists. "No pure heart could ever change that woman!"

"Savia." Marahan na saway sa akin ni Atty. de Guzman. I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself. When he said that he wanted to talk to me, I wasn't expecting to hear that Valerie suffers from a fatal heart disease. "She sold the hacienda three years ago."

"She did what?!"

"I'm sorry. Ngayon ko lang din nalaman. Maybe to finance her hospital bills. Iba na ang may-ari ng hacienda ngayon."

Nanginginig na ako sa sobrang galit at dismaya. I reached for the coffee and took a sip in an attempt to calm myself.

"S-Sinong may-ari ng hacienda ngayon, attorney?" bulong ko.

"I'm yet to find that out. Apparently, it's been a private property and the workers are too afraid to disclose the name of their new owner. I'm still working on it."

"If she's suffering from a heart disease for almost three years, how is she even alive? Inuubos ba niya ang pera niya sa pagpapagamot?"

"Sa tingin ko rin. She's not seen in many parties and showings recently. Usap-usapan na rin ang tungkol sa kalusugan niya."

I wanted to laugh out loud and cursed at her health but that's not the revenge I had in mind. In fact, it made me feel so doomed that Valerie is slipping into a disease. It made things more complicated.

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm not sure." I murmured, my head starting to ache. I'm going to La Union this weekend and my plans are suddenly ruined with the news that Valerie is sick. "It's not going to be fair if I hold myself just because she's sick."

"You don't have to hold back," Atty. de Guzman said, a small smile playing in her lips.

"I don't want to be a murderess either."

She chuckled and took a sip of her coffee. "Just as I thought. You're just like your mother."

Brows knitted together, I clasped my temple with my hand and tried to think of a plausible solution. The revenge I had in mind right now is not possible.