Chapter 2

Chapter 2

My frown went deeper as I glared at the stack of newspapers on the table. That was such a dramatic arrival for me, but I wasn't expecting it'll make such an impact that the press has noticed it.

Plastered on the front page of a local newspaper is a huge yet blurry picture of me in my Jimmy Choo heels, black backless dress and sunglasses while holding the leash of Barin on one hand, walking intently with my head tiltled in an arrogant manner. It was a snap seconds before I reached the waiting SUV and disappeared inside. And the headline read, 'De la Rua heiress found dead 5 years ago is back!'

What foolish people. I didn't bother to read the content because I know it will be just as foolish as the headline. I tossed it back, alerting Barin of the sudden thud. He lifted his head and scanned the surroundings with sharp eyes.

"Let's see, what should we do today, Barin?" I asked out loud.

He stared at me, tilting his head to the side. Napangisi ako at inabot ang cellphone na bayolenteng tumutunog.

"Hello—"

"What do you think are you doing?" he snarled from the other line. I bit my lower lip to keep myself from chuckling when I heard pure anger in his voice. "Why are you all over the newspaper, Savia?"

I stared at my acrylic nails I got done yesterday in a nearby nail spa. It shines beautifully whenever the sunlight slants over it. "I don't know, Attorney. Malay ko bang may nag-aabang pala na press sa kung saan-saan."

"You are today's headlines, Savia! Gusto mo bang makaabot ito kina Valerie?"

"Relax, attorney." The newly-bought coffee maker dinged, and I crossed the small living room to attend to the machine. "Mabuti nga yun eh at nang magsimula na siyang matakot. Imagine her cowering in fear and worry, thinking if that picture is real or not." I tilted my head back and laughed wickedly. "That old lady must have been so stressed by now."

"Don't be so reckless, Savia..." gumaan ang boses ni Attorney. He's back into talking me out of troubles again using his father-like voice. "You could ruin all of our plans if you keep on butting heads with the papparazi."

"Don't worry about it," I carefully poured the coffee into a mug. Nang nakita ni Barin na nasa kusina na ako ay kaagad siyang tumayo at sumunod. He looked up to me, probably asking for food. Grinning, I poked his nose and he stepped back, glaring at me.

"You keep on telling me to not worry about it but I've been worrying about you for five years! My wide and I decided not to have children because we know they would be such headaches and now you're..." he trailed off and sighed. "How do you think I felt when you fled to Russia as soon as you got hold of your grandparent's money? I felt sick like a father whose daughter just eloped with another guy! And when I saw you risking your identity by playing major roles in opera! And when Barin got sick and you called me at three in the morning? Kulang nalang liparin kita sa Russia, Savannah!"

Napanguso ako. Here he goes again.

"Kumusta na nga po pala ang asawa niyo, attorney?" I asked, changing the subject when I remembered his aloof wife. She's also a competent lawyer but they're both working in different fields. While Attorney de Guzman worked on taxes and real estates, his wife Aya deals with crime cases and prosecutions.

He sighed on the other line. "Are you really okay, Savannah?"

I leaned a hip against the counter and sipped on my coffee. I haven't touched my luggage and my clothes are scattered inside my bedroom. I bought this small apartment five months before I'm bound to go home so I have a place to stay when I arrived.