Chapter 16

Chapter 16

It rained all day, forcing us to stay inside the house. Blake has ordered food for us and even if I wanted to cook, the lone pale yellow fridge sitting in the corner of the kitchen is anything but a decoration. It's empty. He said he recently bought this house and it was his first time spending more than a day here so there's practically nothing inside.

Because of boredom, I decided to take a tour inside the house while Blake is talking to someone on his phone in the living room. I admired the hand-worked pillows thrown at the vintage-looking scarlet sofa and appurtenances in the house. I suppose the previous owner of this house finds beauty in old fashion, or he was simply raised in a humble life that it reflected in his property.

May nadatnan akong mga bulaklak sa baba na iilang malalakas na hampas nalang ata ng hangin ay mamamatay na. I stared at the wilted flowers in silence, wondering if it looks pretty when it is in full bloom and the sun is out.

My eyes darted to the average-sized yard in front of the house. More plants lined the brick wall and a rusty swing sat alone in the middle of the rain pools. It made a groaning sound each time the wind hits it. I could already imagine children, a little girl with creamy skin and jet black hair, running around the yard and jumping into the repainted swing with her European doll in hand. Or a son. An arrogant-looking little boy, just like his father, who sprints around the garden chasing bugs and butterflies and other insects. He'd take after his ruthless grin and even as a child, he would charm a lot of people thanks to the godly looks he inherited from his father.

Napailing ako, pero may multo na ngiti ang humalik sa mga labi ko. The torrential rain poured heavily as if today is its last chance to shower the world. However chaotic, my mind felt at ease at the sound of the rain and the cold, comforting embrace of the breeze. Idinilat ko lamang ang mga mata ko nang marinig ang baritonong boses ni Blake.

"Coffee?"

I was delighted to see him carrying two cups of thick, clay mugs with black coffee. It was strong and sugarless, just how I like it. I gratefully accepted the mug and sipped from the coffee. Itinuro ko ang swing na nakita sa labas.

"Kinakalawang na at mukhang luma," tumawa ako nang mahinhin. "Kasali ba 'to nung bilhin mo ang bahay? Hindi mo pa pala tinatapon."

Sinundan ni Blake ang daliri ko sa itinurong swing at tumango. He sipped from his coffee and placed it gently on the wooden railings before answering.

"Balak ko sanang ayusin."

My heart thumped in my chest. Is he having the same fantasy that I had just a few moments ago? Iniisip rin kaya niyang magkaroon ng anak at dito papalakihin?

I didn't speak, but I know we were both thinking about the same thing. Our decision may be rush, but I feel no ounce of regret. For me, that was the best impulsive decision I've ever made.

We stayed in the house for a few days, waiting for the storm to pass. I cleaned the house and appreciated the fact that Blake didn't call out on it. He knows I've been served by trained housekeepers and maids half of my life, but I still know my way in the kitchen and in doing chores. My mother always told me that I wouldn't have them forever, and that I should be able to do things on my own when the time came. And she was right. She always had been.

"Dad, gusto ko lang sabihin sa iyo na kinasal na ako,"

Napatigil ako sa paglalakad, bitbit ang may kalakihang vase na may lamang bulaklak. I harvested whatever flowers were left in the yard and place them all here instead of waiting for the storm to destroy these pretty things. Blake is leaning against the kitchen countertop, his back against me. I saw his shoulder blades shaking. His deep chuckle echoed inside the house.