Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The first breathe of winter knocked at my window as soon as I woke up. Stretching in my feather bed, I yawned and let the soft light slant through the open windows, savoring the few precious moments I have with the sun. The blinds have to be shut before I freeze to death.

Sinulyapan ko ang natutulog na alaga. During the winter, Barin is lazy and likes to sleep all day. Hindi ko na siya dini-disturbo sa ganitong pagkakataon. I leave him alone and would feed him dressed chicken as soon as he glides downstairs.

Snatching the silk robe resting on the back of a chair, I shrugged it on and instantly regretted my poor choice of clothing as soon as I stepped out of the room. It's getting colder and colder, though winter has yet to come. It's the first few days when were given time to prepare for the harsh of the cold and the magic of the first snowflakes falling from the sky.

I turned on the coffee maker when I reached my tiny kitchen and started grinding coffee beans. Nakatanaw ako sa labas at medyo kunot ang noon ang makitang sarado pa ang bintana ng kapitbahay ko. Mrs Yahontov wakes up early and would greet me in the morning each time we glance at each other through the windows. The machine sounded as I waited for the coffee to boil.

After a few cold minutes, I was pouring the hot coffee in my white mug and freezing in the kitchen. Medyo nanginginig na ang mga daliri ko. I have yet to fix the heater in the kitchen and living room but I just don't have the time! I was too busy in the theatre and the upcoming opera.

Pinagmasdan ko ang itim na likido bago ito dahan-dahang sinimsim. I sighed in pleasure. A few minutes later, Barin joined me in the kitchen. He stretched halfway through walking downstairs and then leapt to the floor. I frowned at him. He's scratching the wooden floor with his sharp claws and looks at me as if he's done nothing!

"Gusto mo nang kumain?" namaywang ako habang tinitingnan siya pailalim. Barin went to me and started rubbing his head against my feet. "Oh, don't give me that act! Your sweetness couldn't pay my floor, you clever cat." I sneered.

I gave him a few pats before going to the fridge to pull out his stock of frozen chicken. Inubos ko ang laman ng kape at inilapag ang mug sa sink. I started boiling the chicken while Barin waited patiently. Glancing at the clock, I decided to get something to eat on my way to Mariinsky Theatre.

After my morning routine, I fed my puma and went back upstairs for a hot shower. Nagmamadali akong nagbihis. I put on a stylish mustard coat and knee-high leather boots. Hindi na ako nag-abalang mag-ayos pa. Pulling my dark hair into a high ponytail, I reached for my car keys and then went downstairs.

"Come here..." I gestured for Barin to come, already holding his leash. Sumunod naman siya at nakatitig sa akin habang ikinakabit ko ang collar niya. "Now, be a good boy tonight, okay? It's a big show, and people are looking forward to seeing you again. And this is our last show here, Barin. So, give it your best!"

His eyes gleamed in understanding. This sly cat likes attention more than anything else. I thought ballet dancing and pumas will never be made possible. But with Barin, I was the first prima ballerina to have ever danced with a black puma on stage. It sure skyrocketed my career as a ballet dancer and in just two years, I got my permit for instruction. The cash I'm making in performing is triple the amount I get in teaching ballet class, but young ballerinas make me so happy. They're so full of joy and a lot of parents wanted me to teach their daughters how to dance with a puma.

"You'll have to get them a puma first. I'm not letting anyone take my Barin away from me..." I would joke on them, but still offered those special lessons that only I could offer.