Chapter 19

Chapter 19

When I was a little girl, my Mama would always tell me that it is important for a woman to know how to cook, not to please a man, but to be independent.

"You can't buy processed foods forever, Anna." I can recall her saying to me while preparing our food as I sat in the kitchen counter. "You need to learn how to cook."

And so, I spent most of my afternoons with her, learning how to cook different delicacies when I'm not in my ballet class. My mother introduced me to a cornucopia of mouth-watering recipes and secret cooking tips to make the dish more appealing.

"A woman who is well-read, knows how to cook, bold and has a voice is unstoppable. Always remember that, Anna."

I was shy and timid and very different from my mother. But I look up to her and promised that I would become someone like her, someday.

Now that she's gone, I lived to continue her legacy.

Maaga akong bumangon at mabilis na naligo. Nag-aalala na si Jessica sa akin at ilang beses akong tinawagan upang kumustahin. She knows my situation in the house, and she's itching to confront Valerie but I said no. I told her I am perfectly capable of handling my monstrous stepmother.

"Trust me, Jess. I can do this." I said, and realized that these past few days, I am asking the people to trust me to do things. I want them to put their faith on me because I wanted to prove to them, to let them see that the little Anna has finally grown up.

Nakakahiyang maging anak ng isang Anastasia Villafuerte De la Rua kung hindi ko kayang ipaglaban ang sarili ko.

Pagkatapos magbihis ay bumaba kaagad ako. I am an hour earlier today, which surprised Manang Joji who is just putting down the morning groceries atop the kitchen counter.

"Ang aga mo ata, hija? May lakad ka ba?"

"Papasok po ako ngayon." Magalang kong sagot sa kaniya, at binalingan ang mga pinamili. "Pwede po bang ako ang magluto ngayong umaga?"

She stared at me, scrutinizing, before our elderly cook hesitantly nodded.

"Sigurado ka?"

"Opo. Babaunin ko din po ang sobra."

"O, siya. Sige. Pero dito lang ako sa kusina at babantayan kita."

I smiled happily and nodded. Then, I rummaged through the ingredients she bought and immediately decided that I would be cooking pasta.

Moving quickly, I began to slice the red, plump tomatoes that reminded me so much of Blake's lips. Napailing ako. I've got to get him off my mind right this moment or I will be distracted again. With so much drama going on in my life, I wanted to take a break and surprise him this afternoon.

Manang Joji watched me with sheer approval, commenting every now and then and praising me for moving like a pro in the kitchen, just like my mother. Half an hour later, I am already stirring the simmering tomato sauce and sprinkling fresh herbs. Fused with meatballs and spareribs, I reached for the parmesan cheese and started slicing it.

"Lalong tumatagal, mas lalo mong nagiging kamukha si Anastasia." Manang Joji said proudly. "Hindi lang sa magandang mukha, pati na rin sa magandang asal, Anna..."

I smiled at her politely and thanked her. When I heard footsteps descending, I turned my head and saw my father. My heart bloomed when I saw he's looking better today.

"Is this my Anna cooking this morning?" he said in a gentle voice, and my heart almost melted.

I nodded and a girlish giggle escaped from my throat. "Morning, Papa..."