[14]

Liy's lip curled, "I have a name, it's Liy."

     Fanny shrugged.

     "...We were classmates?" She pressed even more, "Do you not remember me at all?"

     "Oh no, I remember you vaguely," Fanny insisted, "but I'm also right in calling you infected, yes?"

     "I—," Liy stuttered, glancing away, "I- I guess..."

     "Chin up," She snorted in amusement, "it happens to a lot of people. Every zombie had it happen, you aren't alone. You'll be joining us soon."

     "Don't say that," Liy spat angrily.

     "Truth hurts, infected."

"I don't... want to think about it right now."

"Do the others know you're infected?" Fanny pried, "I doubt it. If they knew you'd likely be abandoned on the streets by now."

"...They wouldn't do that, I assure you." Liy retorted, fists clenched together at her sides.

"Are you trying to assure me?" Her eyebrow raised, "Or are you trying to assure yourself?"

Liy opened her mouth to respond, but no words formed.

Surely they wouldn't...

"...Did you get thrown out by someone?" Liy muttered.

"In a way you could say that," She shrugged her shoulders, "if you correlate being thrown out with being killed, that is."

"What...?" Liy stammered, "So it wasn't the sickness that killed you?"

"If I was allowed to live that long I'd still be alive," Fanny scoffed, "how long have you been infected? My best guess is that it hasn't been long. You're still mobile and you still got a sharp brain."

"...Thanks?" Liy hesitated. She didn't know whether to take that as a compliment or not.

"So how long?"

"...Well," She thought to herself for a bit, "it's been around three days since I got the bite."

"Oh yeah, you're in the early stages. Have you had any symptoms yet?"

"The coughing up blood thing..." She admitted, "that and I had a really bad headache this morning."

"Well, you should cherish these next few days while you can, don't lose sight of your friends, more importantly yourself." She told Liy, "Negative feelings only fuel the virus more."

"Really...?"

"Yeah," Fanny nodded, "I don't know the science behind it, but if you remain close to friends an have a good grip on who you are, you'll last longer. So try not to worry too much. Worrying will only accelerate the pace the virus goes to take hold of you."

Liy bent down to properly look at Fanny in the eyes, "Why are you telling me this?"

"You're in distress, I have no ill-will towards you. It'd be in your best interest to do all you can to stay alive for as long as possible."

"I just thought you were... meaner than this. I'm surprised."

"What, do you want me to be mean?" Fanny snorted, "I may be cynical but I'm not heartless."

"Thanks..."

"If you want my opinion," She remarked, "you should tell them you're infected as soon as you can. It's better you tell them upfront than have them find out on their own."