(39)

The entire house was silent, minus the faint whirring of the air conditioner going. Remote's eyes were focused on the three figures huddled close together outside, progressively moving closer toward the house with every passing second.

     The clattering and clicking of the house key sounded from outside momentarily before the door swung open, allowing sound to pour into the building.

     "Where'd you guys go?"

     Black Hole, Pie, and Pillow had just entered the house, feelings of content and hope plastered all over their expressions. They were chattering amongst themselves, seemingly happier than Remote had seen any of them in what seemed like forever. It was almost relieving.

     "We found some survivors," Black Hole told Remote enthusiastically, "and we let them in on the plan to leave the island. They were down instantly, and are going to round up as much people as they can find. We're meeting up at the shore tomorrow evening."

"All of us?" Remote asked.

"I would assume so, yeah."

     Remote flashed an uncertain glance toward the staircase that lead to upstairs—where Tree's room was.

     He hadn't behaved like she did when Liy had left. He came out of the room a lot, but didn't bother to join in on conversations. When people asked to talk to him, he'd oblige. But after the experience with Pen, he'd been completely and utterly destroyed.

     After the whole situation, Tree did give Remote an apology—a rather emotional one, but one she accepted regardless. She definitely hadn't forgotten, though.

The tooth gap hadn't allowed her to.

"Do you think Tree could handle it?"

"He's strong. He will be able to take it." Pie assured her.

"...Okay."

     "Why do you care?" Pillow tilted her head in confusion, "He literally punched you like-- two? Three? How many days ago?"

     "He apologized," Remote remarked sullenly, "plus, I know what it's like... to lose someone you care about. It doesn't make you the nicest. He needs time to grieve."

     "You'd think she'd at least be a little angry," Pillow murmured to Black Hole.

     Remote gaze slowly drifted to the floor.

Black Hole's eyes flashed with sympathy, "I thought you'd be more happy to get off this god forsaken island."

"It doesn't feel right." Remote mumbled, "Liy and Pen should be here. And we don't even know where Bottle went!"

"She said not to worry about her," Pillow chimed in cheerily, "did you not read the note she left?"

"All it read was that she was fine and not to worry, yeah. But she didn't say why or where she was leaving! We should be looking for her...!"

"We have to respect her wishes," Pie sighed, defeated, "she'll come back when she's ready."

"And what if we never see her again?"

"...We will."

"And how can you be so sure?"

"We have to trust her."

"...She may be looking for Liy."

They delved into silence.

     That had all equally sent them into a state of shock.