[9]

"AAAAAGH—!"

Liy screeched and fought, slamming her fists against the zombie repeatedly in an attempt to rip it off.

The more she fought, the stronger the zombie bit onto her side.

"GET—"

Her leg reeled back, readying herself.

"OFF!!"

Then it lashed straight at the zombie, tearing it off once and for all.

It tumbled to the grass beside her, quickly stumbling upward to regain itself.

Liy ignored the piercing pain on her side, she just rushed toward the utility knife that had been dropped too far for her to grab after she had been tackled. She grasped it and whipped around, screeching furiously before plunging the knife deep into the zombie's leg.

It shrieked in protest, hitting the ground as the knife tore deeper inside, exposing the bone.

She gasped heavily in an attempt to regain herself. Her arms legs were trembling, and her side and arm felt like total hell from the hits they took. She stumbled away from the scene, still attempting to catch her breath.

Once she was out of sight from the zombie, she halted. Her body leaned gently against the nearest tree. She patiently put the knife back into her pocket. She had to take a moment to sit down.

     Everything she was wearing had been drenched in enormous amounts of blood, it smelled awful

Everything she was wearing had been drenched in enormous amounts of blood, it smelled awful. Not even just her clothes, but her arms too. There were almost no clean spots on her hands, except for the area on her one hand where she had firmly held the knife. Some of it had even splattered onto her face. She didn't like it.

She sighed, slowly looking down at her side. Slowly and hesitantly her hand grasped at the end of her shirt and she raised it. Her heart nearly stopped once she realized the damage the zombie had done to her.

There was a huge mark from where it had bitten. Most of the flesh had been ripped off in the area, but it surprisingly only had dots of blood here and there. Even despite how she was barely bleeding, it still felt like she had gotten shot or something.

She stood up, leaning off the tree and heading out of the woods, a careful eye out for her friends.

I wonder if Leafy is still around here. Maybe she could help?

She dropped the thought immediately.

No. I need to catch up with the others.

Her pace increased in speed until she was eventually running.

She raised her voice to call out, "Hello!? Where are you guys?"

At first it was silent, but something followed it...

"Liy!?"

"I'm over here!" She called out again.

Her friends came out from the city outskirts and rushed over to her.

"Are you okay!?" Remote asked worriedly, "Did you get hurt at all?"

She paused.

"Uh— well, I did get my elbow scraped from the fall I took when I pushed you out the way, but other than that, I'm fine!!"

"...You sure?"

"...Yeah." She felt bad for lying, but she didn't want to give them any reason to worry.

"That was extremely dangerous!" Pie butted in, eyes ignited in anger, "What if you had gotten hurt, or, hell, even infected!? You need to be more careful!"

"I got out of it relatively unscathed though, didn't I?"

"You can't assure you can do it again, though!" She shouted, "Why can't you get it through your head!? If you keep doing this you're eventually gonna get hurt! And that's gonna hurt us!! Goddamn, what if you end up dying next time!?"

Liy went quiet.

"I.. actually did..." She hesitated, "...almost get hurt. I understand how dangerous it is, but I need to make sure you all stay safe."

"Above all else you should keep yourself safe," Pie sighed, "we can handle ourselves. If you keep sticking your neck out for us you're gonna end up—!...."

"What? Dead?" Liy spat, "I'm sorry for caring about you guys I guess, but I can take care of myself."

"Listen to her!"

Liy froze. Her head slowly turned to Remote.

Remote looked ashamed of her outburst, but pressed on anyway, "Please... I need you to stop putting your life on the line. If something happened to you.. I- I don't know what I'd do! So please! Listen to Pie and stop! Just... please...!"

Liy slunk back, head hot with shame. Her voice came out in no more than a whisper, "...Okay. I'll... I'll be careful."

Remote sighed, posture relaxing. She wiped the stray tears from her eyes, "Thank you."

"...Let's go." Black Hole cut in.

The rest of them nodded, and they took off toward home.

Liy opened the door quietly, walking into the bedroom without a word. Remote sat up from bed to look at her. Her eyes showed concern, "So.. what did you do with your other clothes?"

"I threw them away," Liy responded, crawling over Remote to get onto her own side of the bed, "I didn't wanna go through washing all that."

"Oh..."

Liy laid down, facing away from Remote and toward the wall. Her eyes screwed shut, legs bending upward almost instinctively.

The room was silent for a solid one or two minutes until Remote broke the silence.

"I'm sorry for lashing out earlier."

Liy didn't respond.

"I..." Remote continued when she hadn't received a reply, "I just don't want to lose you."

"I know," Liy's voice was quiet, "I don't blame you. I'm the one who should be sorry."

Then it went silent again.

It was very awkward, carrying on the conversation like this, but neither of them really knew what to say.. or how to act.

Remote looked over at her, "...I love you..."

     Liy's head raised slowly, smiling weakly, "I love you too."

     Remote scooched closer and wrapped her arms around Liy. She flinched from her arm hitting her wounded side, but she was quick to hide it. She just hoped Remote hadn't noticed.

(a/n: lol sorry for last chapters cliffhanger, i had that planned long before i even got to the writing stage)