[42]

"Liy, can we talk?"

Liy hauled herself off the couch, breaths rapid and shallow. It almost seemed as if simply getting up took up all of her energy.

"What's up."

Saw backed a step away from her, twiddling her fingers anxiously. "We need Lollipop for this. She could probably explain this better than I can."

"I'm sure you can handle it. Go."

"Oh, okay." Saw braced herself, taking a deep breath. "So basically, long story short, the survivors are taking off tomorrow." She refused to meet Liy's gaze. "This entire past week we've been gathering food, water, all those essential supplies and stuff. It's all packed and readied on the boat we're gonna take to get out of this place. We're leaving around noon."

"Noon, huh?" Liy raised a brow, "Are you sure they'll all be ready?"

"Yeah!" She smiled, "Are you ready?"

Liy flinched.

Saw's cheery tone subsided into sorrow upon Liy's reaction.

"Perhaps we should take this outside."

"Why outside?"

"...Just, go out there. I'll get Lollipop and we'll go from there."

"...Alright..."

Saw turned away, heading deeper into the house while calling out Lollipop's name.

Liy sighed, making her way out of the house and onto the front porch.

She reeled backward, breaking into coughs. She allowed the blood to spit out of her mouth, droplets falling onto the wooded floor of the porch. She cleared her throat, wiping her lips clean. She barely had any time to recover and recompose until Saw had appeared by her side, Lollipop right behind her.

"I got her."

"Are you planning on coming? Or are you going to stay on the island?" Lollipop jumped to the chase instantly, clearly not intending on wasting any time.

"I-- I don't know.." Liy stuttered. Do I tell them now? She hesitantly met Lollipop's gaze. I need to try and get out of this without telling them... "I'm planning on staying on the island, honestly... I shouldn't come with."

"And why are you so persistent in not coming along?" Lollipop asked, pressing further. "Your old friends are there. They miss you. They've told us."

"I—..." Liy backed off, feeling panic well up within her, "I just can't, okay!? I don't want to come."

"Why?"

"Lollipop..." Saw sighed solemnly. "She isn't going to do it. Just drop it."

Liy felt relief wash over her. At least Saw understood.

"...If you aren't coming, then are you going to leave?"

"Is..." Her eyes widened in realization, "Is that why you brought me outside? You expect me to go..."

Do they...

"I expected this is what you'd choose. It was obvious."

She felt shame burn within her. "So you... you know...?"

"We already know, yes." Lollipop confirmed. "If it weren't for Saw, I honestly would've thrown you out the moment it clicked. But she was persistent in letting you stay. But now it's clear you've spent your days here, so it's time you go."

"...I know." Liy nodded, letting the tears fall down her face, "I never wanted to stay longer than a day. But... I was so scared of being alone. I constantly braced myself for the day you found out I was infected, but..."

"But it never came." Lollipop finished. She shot a glance at Saw as she continued with her own words, "You didn't tell us you were infected, so it was only fair we didn't let you know that we figured it out."

"How did you figure it out...?"

"It doesn't exactly take a genius, Liy. You're constantly coughing and freaking out over things you see that aren't even there. You've been getting progressively weaker. You look frail as hell. It wasn't easy to piece it together, especially with all your 'I'm not gonna survive until the end of summer' talk. You were practically asking to get found out."

"I didn't try to hide it..." Liy told her, "...that much, anyway. I guess I did want you guys to find out.. without me going through the pain of explicitly admitting it." She wiped away her tears, snifflig. "I should've told you guys the moment Saw assumed I wasn't infected back on the trap incident."

"Then we would've killed you...!" Saw cried, clearly horrified that she would've even considered such a grim alternative outcome.

"Maybe that would've been for the best..." Liy muttered softly.

They went quiet. Neither of them knew what to say for what felt like forever. It was excruciating.

"...I have to admit," Lollipop finally spoke up, "I am saddened to see you go. You did a lot of stupid things, I won't deny that—but I got used to having you around. I will miss you."

"...I'll miss you guys too."

"...This is the part where I'd hug you but I kinda can't..." Saw whined, "...air hug?"

Liy chuckled weakly, holding out her arms as if she was inviting her to hug, "Sure."

Saw repeated the movement for a mere moment until her arms dropped back to her sides, smiling faintly. "Well, I guess this is goodbye, then?"

Liy looked around, gaze shooting from the two and over to the woods, then back to Saw.

"Yeah, I guess so." Liy sighed. "Thank you both so much for keeping me here, even after you found out... about the thing. I'm glad I met you guys. And I'm... really glad we can be parting on good terms." She snickered raspily. "I hope you guys will find safety, wherever you are heading. I wish nothing but the best for you two, as well as every other survivor that's leaving."

Liy hopped off the porch, beginning to make her way further into the woods and away from the house. She didn't want to look back, but she couldn't help shooting back one last warm, parting glance.

"Goodbye."

"Bye..." Saw whispered back.

Liy whipped around, dashing away. She didn't look back that time. Her eyes were set on the forest ahead of her.

Please let them be safe...

...And all the other survivors making their way out of the island, too.