[2]

Liy had kept the window open before leaving for the dance. She hadn't shut it when she returned either, most likely due to her fatigue. However, thanks to the blanket, she had been able to remain warm the majority of the night. Once she woke up, she discovered the blanket just barely covering her legs. It draped over the side of the bed, leaving Liy shivering from the sudden chill that had filled the room.

     She yawned loudly, stretching out her legs and sprawling out across the bed, grasping the blanket and throwing it back over herself lazily. Her body was aching and her head ringing. Was she always this sensitive to flashing lights?

     The doorknob twisted softly, and the door slowly began to creak open. Remote was cautiously entering the room, but flinched backward upon realizing Liy was awake, "Ah! Oh... good morning!"

     "Morning," Liy returned, face smacking down on the bedsheets, "I'm so fucking tired."

     "The first step would be to try and get up," Remote chuckled half-heartedly.

     "...UUuuuUUUUGGGHHHH....." Liy began to crawl off the bed, falling abruptly onto the floor with a small yelp.

     Remote rolled her eyes, "Graceful."

     "I know right."

     Remote made her way over to Liy, reaching out her hand for her to grab. She pulled her friend up, the amusement suddenly dimming in her eyes. Liy noticed right away, worry beginning to spread throughout her.

     "Are you alright? Did something happen?"

     Remote took in a sharp breath, looking away, "Something happened."

     Liy's heart dropped, "Did any of our friends get sick!?"

     "Not that I'm aware of, no..." She shook her head.

     "Then what's wrong?"

     "There was word on the news today..." Remote's eyes shimmered with sorrow, "The virus finally claimed its first life."

     "...Wh...Who was it?" Liy's eyes widened in horror.

     "I... don't know. I didn't catch that part."

     Suddenly, Remote's phone buzzed in her pocket, shortly followed by Liy's over on the nightstand. Remote snatched her phone out of her pocket while Liy rushed over to her's. It was a text message from Tree.

     'You guys need to come to my house, they're gonna be forbidding outside travel starting tomorrow to prevent the spread of the virus. Bring everything you can, I don't know how long we'll be stuck inside, but I want us all to be together'

     Liy glanced over at Remote, "Should we go, then...? I don't want to be stuck here with just the two of us, don't take that offensively-,"

     "I'm not," Remote shrugged, "let's go."

     "What should we bring?" Liy asked.

     "Well, it's up to you. If we're really doing this, I'm gonna have to stop at my house and get some stuff. I'll tell Tree we're coming."

     "Gotcha," Liy nodded appreciatively, grabbing her backpack from within her closet, beginning to clear it out. As she gathered her stuff, Remote wandered outside of the room, holding her phone up to her ear. It sounded like she was in a group voice chat.

     Liy sighed, picking up her now almost overflowing backpack and plopping it onto the bed, casting one last final glance around her room. When would she see this room again? It wasn't like she paid the taxes, so she didn't have to worry about that, her older brother (whom she rarely sees) took care of it. She could probably just leave without texting him and he wouldn't have a single care in the world. He barely acknowledged her existence, and she barely acknowledged his, but she figured it was only fair to at least give him clarity on where she was heading off to. He had his fiance, anyway. He wouldn't be alone.