[22]

"You again!" A joyous voice rose from the girl standing from across the room.

"...You..."

Her once stoic and emotionless expression was now filled with emotion.

"Liy, how have you been!?"

The tall, green-haired girl who she now recognized as Leafy rushed toward her to give her a hug, only for Liy to reel back.

"Wait—! Don't touch me!"

"Oh--, sorry..." Leafy murmured, "...but I'm not infected if that's what you were wondering—"

"If you want it to stay that way then don't touch me."

Leafy's eyes widened in realization, "Oh."

"Anyway— I just came here to get food, I won't be here long."

"Where's your friends?"

"..." She went quiet. "Home."

"...Oh...I'm.. sorry..."

"It's fine," Liy's voice cracked with emotion, "I can survive on my own while I'm still around."

"You– You can come with me!" Leafy insisted, "As long as you don't infect me or anything.--"

"It's.. too much of a risk. I'd be best on my own."

"It'd be fine as long as we're extra safe!" She assured.

"I... would like that..." Liy admitted quietly, "but... I want you to be safe..."

"I will! I'm very good at avoiding the virus, promise! I've been able to outrun them this long, after all."

"...Okay."

"Great!" Leafy grinned, "So what's happened since we last spoke? Outside the whole... being solo thing."

Liy winced, "Um, well... nothing much outside that... but— my friends did find Pencil around two days ago."

"What!?" Leafy jolted upward, "what happened? Did she hurt any of you? What did she do?"

"Leafy..." Her voice came in soft, "Pencil's dead."

     She flinched.

     "You're kidding."

     "No."

     "Did your friends do it...?"

     "Wh— no!!" Liy was taken aback, "We'd never do that!"

     "...Did a zombie get her?" She asked.

     "...Yeah." Liy nodded, "That's what happened."

     "..." Leafy went quiet, "...Want something to eat?"

     "Yeah, sure. That's what I kinda came here for, anyway..."

     "Okay," Leafy gestured towards the racks of food bags that hadn't yet been snatched up by wandering survivors, "we should change the topic."

     "Yeah."

     She still felt a pang of sadness whenever her old friend was brought up.  She had done a lot of horrible things in the recent, but that didn't mean she wasn't allowed to reminisce the days in which she was a good friend. It really did go to show how even the people closest to you could turn out to be utter shitbags.

     Life lesson of the week, I guess.

     "Soooo..." Leafy's voice brought hwr back from her thoughts, "...how long have you been infected?"