40: Closer to the truth

Start from the beginning

"This is us" Jungkook said, finally, moving his hand closer to Hani's so that they would be standing side by side, like the two wolves. "This is us right here, baby"

"How did they know that we would come?" Hani asked, looking at Jungkook in complete confusion mixed with amazement. "What does the arrows even mean?"

"I don't know." Breathlessly,Jungkook said as he removed his hand from the wall. "I just know that this right here" The Alpha pointed at the wall in front of them. "This is telling the story of the first True Alpha. This is the first pack ruled by one. Their traditions and their story. Their demise and how they got extinct. And then, there's us."

"Where do we fit in all of this?"

"At the end of their story. At the beginning of ours"

Hani's hand fell from the wall and she took a step back, wanting to look at the bigger picture. Jungkook's words were resonating in her heart – they were telling her more than what the words in reality meant. It had awakened a feeling of purpose in her. A sense of duty to a generation that had been long gone. Jungkook felt it too. That they were a part of something that was bigger than them, bigger than revenge, bigger than their past, bigger than their present. Just bigger.

"So, the blood"

"They were slaughtered in that room that we were in. They lived here... in hiding"

Hani felt nauseous, revolted more than ever. She had been in a place where thousands of lives had been taken. She was at the place where they had been slaughtered. She had stepped over bodies, although they had decomposed with time, vanished. However, their image was still there in her head; that was enough. The image that her mind was creating would definitely haunt her for the next nights. Pain was the next emotion that washed over her. Looking at the toys, the wood cutlery sprawled across the floor of the cave, her heart shrunk in her chest. She couldn't help but think about how many families had been destroyed, how many young lives had been taken away, how many lovers had been separated – because of power. The girl could feel their pain as if it was her own. She got reminded of her family and her new pack. She wouldn't know what to do if death ever came knocking on her door like that.

The Alpha was looking around the place, he too immersed in his own thoughts. His mind was taking him down darker paths than he had hoped for. He was taken back to the day he lost his family, to the day he almost lost Hani. The blood that he had seen on the floor was exactly like the one he had on his hands. The scratch marks exactly like the ones he had given to others. The furniture reminded him of how his house looked like after the fire – deserted, ruined. The depiction of their demise reminded Jungkook of how easily he could lose Hani. He didn't want to think about it, he knew what would happen if he did. He'd only dwell more into his guilt, into his hatred towards himself. All these wolves carved on the walls were great, powerful, leaders. Meanwhile, ever since the day that he was born, Jungkook only brought pain and death to those around him. Was he being punished by the moon goddess? Was she angry at True Alphas for giving up on their kind and was now lashing out on Jungkook? Why him? Why had he been chosen to be someone he's not? To fit shoes that are far too big for his feet? And why is it bringing his family, the ones he cares for, into his own nightmare?

Jungkook sighed loudly and his eyes landed on Hani who was looking at the opening on the cave. The sound of water running was calming down her thoughts and at the same time, turned her curious regarding as to where the sound came from. Without warning, she walked towards the opening. Her feet were just at edge where the cave's floor ended. Jungkook was standing right next to her, looking down at the scenery under them. It was a small forest that was trapped by more walls that belonged to the cave, yet the top was uncovered and allowed them to see the sky above. It was blue, showing no signs of the storm that had caused just a few hours ago. A small waterfall fed the crystal-clear lake with water so blue; one would believe it had been painted. Everything there was brightly colored, untouched by human hands or any other hands. A small piece of paradise standing right in front of Hani and Jungkook. Hani found it hard to believe this place was real. Still, everything on those woods was.

"Can we take a look?"

The girl asked, her eyes never leaving the scenery in front of her that grew more and more beautiful in her eyes. Jungkook noticed some rocks that were piled up next to the edge, forming a type of stairs. He grabbed her hands and he gently guided her down. Up close, the forest was even more beautiful. Hani was in love with the place, her eyes twinkled and she found herself even slightly jumping in excitement. It made The Alpha smile. She happily hoped towards the lake, dying to drink some fresh water and finally get a bath. As she leaned downwards, Hani saw her reflection in the water. The tiredness was showing evidently. Her hair was all tangled and dirty, baggy eyes, dry skin. This trip had been the most exhausting thing she had ever done both physically and emotionally.

A relieve sigh escaped Hani's lips, once she sat down at the margin of the lake. Her body and her mind were finally resting after so many days of nervousness, insecurities, fears and questions. Don't be mistaken, they were still there in the back of her mind; waiting for the right time to haunt her. The girl knew that they would come back soon. But for now, she just wanted to enjoy the peace and quiet that existed in that place. Jungkook sat down next to his mate, his own mind and body relaxing. He looked around the place, his eyes scanning for any possible dangers or threats

"Hey, baby" Jungkook whispered to Hani's ear; the girl had her eyes closed. "I'm going to take a look to see if there's any animals on the forest. Will you be okay? I'll be fast"

Hani nodded her head, mumbling a small "be safe" to the Alpha. The forest didn't seem to be that vast, especially, since it was trapped by the cave's walls. She heard him leave and his footsteps disappearing in the distance. The girl and the world were quiet, in complete harmony. Something was weighting on her chest, though, forbidding her from shutting off her thoughts.

She remembered Jimin, her father and Ulric, Jungkook's secrets, her mother's death and the dreams she had, the engravings she had seen on the cave. And how all of that oddly seemed to be connected.

Destiny, she thought, was a funny thing.