Chapter 28

"People come and go, but the right ones will always find their way back to you."

-

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my wrecked nerves and pounding brain. The sight of the morning sky, and the smell of fresh air would've helped me any day, and any time.

But not today.

I felt like a literal piece of shit as I sat in a corner on the rooftop of my office, all alone this time and I'm glad that I am, because I wouldn't want anyone to see me in this state. I also fear for the possibility that I might lash out and do something stupid, so it's better to be isolated from everyone right now.

I don't know why I couldn't just take the day off like I always do when something inconvenient happens to me, I always found excuses not to go to work but, of course, I had to make up for it so that I won't get fired. At least, back then, I had something else to do, someone to hang out with, now I'm just completely alone in this.

Memories of yesterday were blurry, some things stayed clearer as ever. But in reality, all of them were just about me saying the most embarrassing stuff to Steve and him trying to pull me together. As much as I wanted to freak out about everything I said to him, my headache prevented me from doing so. Guess I have no option but to own up to it, right after I ignore him for a few months, that will do.

"You should get some rest,"

Steve's voice rang through my head, as soon as images from last night started to play one after the other, my head pounded so loud.

"Will you stay? Just until I fall asleep."

I rubbed my temples in order to relief some of the pain that came rushing through my head all at once.

Last night felt like a pain in the ass, I should've taken the ride back home when I had the chance.

"There you are!" I snapped at the direction of the sudden loud voice that echoed, and of course, it's Deja.

"Ah, it's always lovely to see you, Dee, but could you talk quieter please?" I asked, slightly growling. I won't take a loud excited Deja in this state.

"Oh, dear, sorry.  I've been looking all over for you and Daniel said to check the roof."

Well, jeez, thanks Daniel.

"Here I am." I tried to fake a smile, waiting for her to tell me the reason why she's interrupting my hangover.

"I wanted to check up on you, actually. You looked so down yesterday but there was never a good chance to ask you what's wrong." She said while sitting next to me.

"It's just been a rough couple of days on me. I lose best friends left and right and now my boyfriend..." I shook my head, couldn't bring myself to think about all what I've lost in this state I'm in.

"I'm so sorry to hear that." She said, patting my back in sympathy. "Was your boyfriend having trouble moving on as well?"

"What do you mean 'as well'? Who else is dealing with this problem?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"You surely know about the Steven thing." I cringed once again when she said his name like that, but also felt intrigued to understand more.

"No? I mean, I only have a vague idea about how he recently ended things with his ex, Nicole."

"Hmm, well, I don't know about a Nicole, but he was telling me these past few days about how he's trying to get over his feelings towards someone." She explained, but only to drown me in more confusion.