10: Poor Little Fingers

Start from the beginning

"Hello?"

There was silence from the other side for a few seconds before a gruff voice answered.

"Explain to me why the clients from your previous meetings are ending up dead?" There was both demand and warning in that question.

Selene closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She had no answer for that dreadful question except it was unplanned. The person responsible for that is just right behind her, probably trying to listen to what she would say.

Selene couldn't take risks, "Later," she muttered and hung up the phone.

She turned back to him. Keir was watching her with his calculative eyes, trying to decipher the situation. Which was not surprising.

"Who was that?" He asked.

Selene contemplated between ignoring his question or answering. She decided the latter as ignoring would be just futile.

"That was Haden." She sighed and continued, "Asking me how my clients from the past two days ended up dead."

"Tell him that it was me," He shrugged, obviously not seeing the seriousness in the situation.

Selene scoffed, "Yeah right."

She took hold of her trolley and made her way to the billing centre. Keir followed her along.

"It is the truth anyway, I was the one that killed them," he spoke.

Selene shushed him and searched around them. Though the downtown store is always vacant, the walls are thin as cloth and she couldn't risk anyone listening or watching them talk.

"Look Keir, you might be responsible for this but this is my mess and I will deal with it," She concluded in a tone that left no room for argument.

For the first time in a while, Keir felt like someone else was in charge. He wouldn't complain though, it was Selene. Her authority dripping voice and stern eyes can make any man cower in fear but to him it just fascinated him. This only made him want to know her more.

His lips slowly curved into a smirk and he gave her a nod.

They walked wordlessly to the shopkeeper, who immediately stood up in fear when he saw them. It was ironic that a non-criminal in the Downtown is the one to run a store in a town full of criminals.

"Hello, Mr. Fletcher," Selene gave him a small polite smile.

"Uh-Hello Selene." He muttered and gave a nod in respect to Keir, "Sir."

She turned to look at Keir who stood with a stoic face. He didn't acknowledge the poor man and instead just pushed his groceries on the cabinet, silently asking for billing.

The shopkeeper wordlessly punched the numbers into the machine, billing the items he had brought.

"Uh, it's-uh, six dollars, sir," He told the amount.

Selene almost offered to pay as she thought he had no money. But Keir took out a ten dollar note from his pocket and passed it to him.

He grabbed his groceries and walked past her, making his way to the exit. He didn't bother to take the change.

"Uh-Thank you, sir," The shopkeeper squeaked behind him but Keir walked out.

Selene gathered that Mr. Fletcher knew what Keir was. The respect, the fear gave it away.

She placed her groceries for billing as well and turned to look at Keir. He was standing outside, probably waiting for her.

"A very remarkable man, he is." She heard the man mutter while punching the codes.