Chapter 27

BACK TO THE ORIGINS

Most of the people were always looking forward to their birthday. It was a reminder of the day they were born, of the day they first breathed, of the day they saw light for the first time. It was a reminder of the day their lives started. It was always joyful and full of smiles and laughter. It was a day dedicated to the person. But to Eowyn, it wasn't that special of a day. To her, it was a day like the others. Actually, she wasn't really fond of her birthday. To her, it was a reminder of her biological parents left her. Her birthday always ignited doubts and insecurities and pain and self-blaming. But Merlin would always be there to cheer her up. He and their mother, Hunith, would try their best to pamper her and treat her like a princess. They would cook her her favorite food or do whatever she wanted to do. They wanted her to feel even more loved than she already was. Eowyn was well aware of their efforts and she was even more than grateful to have them as her family. She couldn't have dreamt of a better mother and brother.

However, this year, her birthday would be different, special. She was reaching twenty. It meant that she had to go back home. Months prior, when Hunith was dying, she told her daughter that she was supposed to give her something on her twentieth birthday, something from her biological mother. On this birthday, Eowyn might be getting closer to find out who she was. That was why the sylphide was standing, dressed in a shirt underneath a corset and with pants and boots, by the stables with Merlin and Gaius.

Eowyn hugged Gaius then her brother.

"I wish I could be going with you," Merlin said as they pulled away.

"Don't worry, brother," she reassured. "Besides, I highly doubt Arthur can survive a day without you in the castle," she joked making her brother laugh.

"But what if something happens?" Merlin stressed.

"Did you forget who I am? I can surely defend myself,"

"Merlin is just being the older protective brother he always is," Gaius smiled. "This is the only time when he gets careful and not reckless,"

"Hey, I'm just right beside you!"

"Oh? You are? I didn't see you," Gaius mocked.

Eowyn laughed at their childish behavior before putting her long cloak on and mounting her horse.

"I'll be back in five days," she said.

Eowyn smiled at her brother and guardian one last time before taking off to Ealdor.

~~

After a day of travel, a night in the forest, and a few hours of travel again, Eowyn finally arrived in Ealdor. On the way there, she had time to reflect on herself and life. A few days had passed since Lancelot left without a word. Eowyn was still hurt and quite angry at him. She did truly care for him. She didn't know if it was love, but it was certainly more than just friendship. She was willing to try with him. But he left, assuming she would end up with Arthur. She didn't know why he thought he should live. Did he think he had no chance against Arthur? Or maybe it was because of her? Maybe she wasn't good enough- No. It wasn't that. He risked his life for her. Lancelot did have at least feelings for her. But Eowyn was disappointed in his leaving. She thought they could become a thing. Lancelot knew who she truly was but was seeing beyond. He loved her for she was, regardless of her being a magical being.

She wasn't so sure about Arthur. Eowyn did love him. There was a special bond between them. They grew fond of each other, they got to know each other gradually which strengthened their bond. But they were too different. Arthur was human and a Prince. Eowyn was a magical being and a low born. Everything separated them. Arthur grew up with the belief that magical creatures were bad and dangerous. If he ever found out who she truly was, what would happen? Would he see beyond and keep loving her? Or would he reject her? She didn't know. Arthur did help to break the druid child out of prison. He was compassionate and right. But Eowyn was scared. People like her were hated, hunted, slaughtered. Being with Arthur was too uncertain. Being with Lancelot was safe.