Chapter 40

"Do you know what you will say?" Ulric asked as he and Eowyn walked in direction of the plains where the Great Dragon is.

"I have a few ideas," Eowyn said, leading the way.

"So you don't know," Ulric concluded.

"I do know!" Eowyn exclaimed, quite embarrassed that her cousin read her so easily. Ulric only laughed.

"If we survive that, I expect to become your Royal Knight," he joked but Eowyn frowned. "No other knight would survive even a week serving you,"

"What's a Royal Knight?" Eowyn asked, confused.

"Oh, right, they don't have that in Camelot," Ulric remembered. "They are also called personal knights.
A Royal Knight is devoted to one member of the Royal Family. He's duty is to protect the member with his life. So they accompany the royal everywhere outside the walls of the castle. They can also serve as consultant or assistant,"

"Usad seems to give a lot of importance to the protection of the Royal Family. The Valkyries that are their personal guards and now the Royal Knights," Eowyn pointed out.

"Locals were not seeing kindly the settlenent of Vikings at first," Ulric said. "So after Usad's birth, a lot of assassination attemps were made against our sovreigns. So since then, their guards had been reinforced,"

"I see," Eowyn nodded. She was about to say something when she heard a loud growl. Kilgharrah.

The two cousins shared a look before Eowyn headed towards the plain. Ulric grabbed his sword and walked closely behind his princess. As Eowyn emerged from the tree, a few meters in front of her was a gigantic dragon. His wings spread widely and his head high. Kilgharrah roared loudely. So loudely the vibration ran through Eowyn's cell. She took a deep breath, trying to calm her pounding heart and walked. She had to try to calm and dissuade the Great Dragon. Many people's life was on the line.

"Kilgharrah!" Eowyn called, stopping a few feet before him.

The Great Dragon looked down. He seemed amused as he bent down.

"You seem to have unraveled your past, Princess Eowyn," Kilgharrah chuckled. Eowyn didn't budge nor flinch. She just stared at him. "But I doubt you are here to discuss about this,"

"Last time I saw you, you were locked under the castle," Eowyn solemnly said.

"Your brother had a promise to keep," the Great Dragon said. Eowyn frowned. "In exchange of my help, he promised to free me from my chains,"

Eowyn didn't answer immediately. What he told her wasn't surprising to her. And she wasn't blaming her brother either. Neither Merlin nor Eowyn ever liked seeing Kilgharrah locked under the castle. And if Merlin promise him that, it also meant that the help Merlin was needed was in a grave time.

"I do enjoy to see you free," Eowyn finally said. "But I do not approve of your actions,"

"My actions do not need your approval," Kilgharrah shot back.

"I understand your anger and hatred," Eowyn continued. "Uther slaughtered us all. But these people," Eowyn pointed at the city.

"They have nothing to do with this. They are innocent. They are not all like Uther. Them, too, in a way, are being imposed his choice. Do not punish them for something they had not done,"

"I'm not punishing them," Kilgharrah said. "I'm punishing Uther. Seeing his kind, his people dying, he will understand our suffering. He will understand what he put us through,"

"Destroying Camelot is not the solution!" Eowyn firmly exclaimed. "Killing these innocent people will not bring us back our loved ones! It will only shed tears and pain and death! Kilgharrah, I know your are better than that! Better than Uther!"