Chapter 40

Song of the Chapter : Mr Loverman by Ricky Montgomery

Spring

       After the war, Hogwarts was shut down. Me and the rest of the seventh years still got to graduate, though. There was a simple ceremony that ended with the enchanted boats taking us away from the school.

      That was a couple of weeks ago.

         Today is Draco's funeral. For a while, I had convinced myself I wasn't going to attend. Not because I was angry or mad, but because I didn't think I could handle it.

I'm glad I'm here. Draco would have wanted me to come.

       After saying a few words and listening to family members sob, everyone goes back into Malfoy Manor for brunch. I take a seat on one of the benches in the backyard and notice Narcissa walking towards me.

         "How are you?" She asks.

        I put on a fake smile. "I'm alright."

       I would ask her the same but I know she's a wreck. After Draco's death her and Lucius split. Thankfully, she got the house but I can't imagine how lonely she must be.

       "He really loved you." Narcissa says softly.

             I make eye contact with her. Tears fall onto her cheeks.

       "He really loved you too."

       Narcissa closes her eyes and tries to hold back her sobs. I open my arms and she squeezes me tightly.

        She pulls away and her eyes stare over my shoulder. When I turn around, I see Harry.

              "I better head inside." Narcissa wipes her face.

       I nod. Harry smiles slightly at Draco's mum before sitting down.

       He lets out a heavy sigh. I continue to look out at the trees behind the home.

       "I hate that I didn't know him better." Harry mutters.

       I turn in his direction and let out a small chuckle. "Yeah, me too."

       "Do you think," Harry stutters. "Do you think you could maybe tell me about him?"

      I feel tears forming in my eyes but I push them back.

      "What would you like to know?"

      Harry thinks for a moment. "Everything."

       I run my hand through my hair then lean back on the bench. When I close my eyes I see all of the memories with Draco.

The first time we spoke.

Us dancing at the masquerade.

Running through the halls at midnight.

Every single one hits me in seconds.

       I clear my throat and turn to Harry.

       "He was really funny. He could make me laugh until my stomach hurt."

      Harry laughs to himself and I continue.

       "He had never been to Honeydukes before we went." I mumble. "Draco grew up in the wizarding world and had never been to Honeydukes."

       Harry's eyes sink. That day plays in my head and I start to giggle.

       "His favorite candy was the green apple taffy. He wouldn't even let me take a bite!"

        We sit on the bench for quite some time talking about Draco. All of the things he did; good and bad.

                      "He was just a boy."  I say softly.

          Harry looks down at his feet. I hold my breath trying to keep myself together.

                     "He sounds great."

       "He was," I try to hide my pain. "I have a feeling you two would have been best friends."

         Harry wraps his arm around my shoulder and I feel the tears start to fall.

          "I miss him."

      Suddenly, an idea comes to my mind. I sit upright and wipe my face off.

      "Are you guys doing anything today?" I ask while nodding in the direction of Ron and Hermione.

       Harry shakes his head and I smile.

      "I want to show you all something."

~~

        Draco once told me that when he was little, he would dream about bringing friends to his hometown. After he said that I remember his face got bright red. I don't know why he was so embarrassed by it, I thought it was one of the most real things he had ever told me.

         Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I spend the rest of the day walking around Wiltshire. I show them the different shops and we go into some.

     "There's an adorable little bakery down the block with amazing apple pie pastries."

     Ron lets out a chuckle. "So that's where Draco's obsession started."

     The four of us laugh out loud. When we get inside I order four of the pastries and sit down beside them at a table. Ron ends up eating the rest of Hermione's even though she didn't say he could.

         "What should we do now?" Harry asks.

      I pause for a moment, then remember Draco mentioned a museum he wanted to take me to. I ask them all if they're up for it and they nod.

      On the way there we walk past the jewelry shop where Draco got my ring and my necklace. I stop in front of the window.

         "Is everything alright?" Hermione asks me.

       I turn to them. "Yeah! I just need to do something really quick."

       They take a seat on the sidewalk and I enter the shop. Inside everything looks just as it did months ago. I walk towards the back and greet the lady working.

       "I bought this here some time ago," I begin. "And I was wondering if you could seal something inside for me?"

       The lady glances at the locket on my neck then smiles. She nods and I place the necklace in her hand.

       "And what would you like to put inside?" She asks.

       I pull out a small piece of Draco's wand from my pocket. 

            "Unicorn hair."