Chapter 29

Song of the Chapter : Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol

Hero's POV

       "The Dark Lord is coming tonight," Lucius announces at the dinner table. "Keep yourself quiet and there should not be any issues."

        He looks directly at me when he speaks. I roll my eyes dramatically.

         It's the last day of summer. If I'm being completely honest, I'm dreading going back to school. For a while, I was excited to get out of Malfoy Manor, but then I remembered what The Dark Lord is planning on doing. Now, being in this haunted house isn't that bad.

               "Why's he coming anyway?" Draco asks.

      Lucius ignores his son. "Do you know what time you two are leaving tomorrow?"

        Draco shrugs his shoulders. I move the food on my plate back and forth. Out of the corner of my eye I see Narcissa studying my every move.

        "Draco, help me prepare in the drawing room." Lucius snaps. Draco huffs but follows his father into the other room.

       Narcissa waits for them to leave then moves to the seat beside me. "What's on your mind, dear?"

           I hesitate to answer. "He's going to kill Harry."

        Narcissa sighs heavily. "Although I do not believe any child deserves to die, he's trouble, Hero."

          I let out a chuckle. She tilts her head confused. "Are you two friends?"

        "We are all friends, Narcissa." I say aggressively. "Harry is a good person."

        My tone makes her scoot back. I wait for her to say something rude back, but instead she stays quiet.

        "I may have been the first person to give your son a chance, but Harry was the second."

        Her eyes grow big and I see guilt cover her face. Before she can reply Draco comes back into the room.

             "He's here."

Draco's POV

       As soon as everyone arrives The Dark Lord begins speaking. He goes over a lot of things I don't really understand. But right when I hear Potter's name come out of his mouth my head shoots up.

           "I'd like to kill the boy, my Lord!" Bellatrix says excitedly.

       I look over at Hero who has her head down. I tap her leg with my foot and she looks up slightly. I try to make her smile but after a few seconds she looks down once again. My heart sinks a little.

                 "I must be the one to kill Harry Potter." The Dark Lord states.

          He tells us that he's planning on killing Harry as soon as possible. I'm not sure when that is, but it makes me uneasy trying to figure out. I just hope that Hero is okay. Technically, Harry is my friend now too. And I don't want him to die, but I know nothing can be done to stop it from happening. I fear Hero won't accept that.

              "Hero, is there a problem?"

       She looks up at The Dark Lord with numb eyes. "No sir."

       He gives her a long, hard stare. I catch myself holding my breath. "Your father used to sit in that chair," The Dark Lord says. I see Hero's eyes narrow. "It's a shame he can't be here today."