Chapter 38

Song of the Chapter : Believer by Imagine Dragons

Hero's POV

       Draco and I have been hiding out in the room of requirement for hours. Eventually we're going to have to go back out there but I know I'll need my strength.

       When Bellatrix asked me if I knew where Harry was I wasn't lying; I have no clue where he and the others decided to go. I just hope that they're safe.

       I see Draco turn his head towards the door. For a second I'm confused but then I start to hear it too. The screams, the fighting.

             It's starting.

         "Are you ready?" Draco stares down at me.

        I close my eyes and let out a heavy sigh. When I look back at him, I nod. Draco holds his hand out and I use it to help myself up.

        "What's the plan?" I ask while we make our way to the door.

       Draco pauses for a moment trying to think of something smart to say. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a logical answer.

         "We fight."

      A lump in my throat forms and I swallow hard. I take one last look at the ring on my finger.

                 This is for you, dad.

       The second Draco opens the door I smell smoke. Some students are running from death eaters, but most are fighting. Dozens of dead bodies are on the floor below me. I force myself to look away in fear of seeing someone I know.

       Out of the corner of my eye I see Theodore walking towards us.

          "Draco, where the hell have you been-"

       Before he can finish his sentence a death eater casts an unforgivable curse making him fall onto the ground. Even though he's dead his eyes stare straight up at me.

        "Hero, come on!" Draco shouts.

        I snap back to reality and race down the hallway beside Draco. The amount of bodies makes it feel like I'm playing a game of hopscotch. I wish more than anything that this was just another day on the playground. But it's not.

         This is a war.

      A death eater stands in front of us and quickly raises his wand. I point mine right back.

        "Avada Kedavra!"

       Draco looks at me shocked but I keep running. I have a feeling that's not the last time I'll be using that curse tonight. Part of me is scared of this side of myself. The other side is too angry to care.

      "Do you think Potter is here?" Draco asks me.

         I don't have an answer for him. If Harry is here, I'm not sure where he'd be. And wherever he is, Voldemort will be too.

        Draco and I get down to the main floor of the school and realize the fighting is twice as bad. Every second one of us has to dodge something. I look down the hallway and see Luna Lovegood battling a death eater. He smacks her across the face and she flies into the wall. My body instantly reacts and begins running after her.

        "Hero, stop!" Draco screams.

       I ignore his cries and cast a spell at the large man. He's too quick. His body moves out of the way and snaps in my direction. I start to panic but continue standing tall.