Chapter 37

Song of the Chapter : Run Boy Run by Woodkid

Hero's POV

      Draco stuns Bellatrix and the two death eaters then runs over to me.

           "Hero, we have to go!"

        I try to stand but my body collapses.

        "I don't know what to do." Draco panics.

      He scans the room but then gives up and rips part of his shirt off and uses it to bandage my stomach. It's already being soaked up by my blood.

        "This isn't going to do much, but we have to go."

       Draco helps me stand and I use his body as a crutch. We exit the cellar and slowly make our way up the stairs.

       The house is completely silent. I stay behind Draco while he peaks down the hall.

               "We need to get to the front door."

         I nod and we start down the hallway. It's hard to see, the lights are all burned out. Suddenly, there's footsteps. Draco pushes me up against the wall and covers my mouth. His hands are shaking.

        "Draco?"

       We both turn and see Narcissa standing in the doorway. I'm not sure if I should be scared or feel relieved. Draco lowers his hand from my face and shields my body.

          "You shouldn't be here." Narcissa hisses.

      I grip onto Draco's sleeve. My eyes keep trying to close but I force them open.

           "Mum, please." Draco says softly.

       Narcissa lets out a heavy sigh. I can see the pain in her eyes.

       The silence fills with the sound of chaos coming from below. The three of us turn our heads in fear. I have a feeling they know I'm missing.

        "Go." Narcissa orders.

       Draco looks back at me then grabs my hand tightly. He opens his mouth to say something to his mother but she interrupts.

                  "Now!"

         All at once, Draco pulls my hand and begins running for the front door. I can feel my body failing with every step. I keep pushing myself to move faster. Footsteps echo behind us and when I look I see a dozen death eaters.

          "Draco, there's too many!"

        He doesn't stop running. When we get to the front door I nearly trip over Lucius' body. As we run further I start to question where we plan to go next.

          "We can apparate." Draco tells me.

       I look at him shocked. If he's ever apparated successfully I wasn't aware. I didn't even know he knew how to.

               "Just trust me."

Draco's POV

        As soon as my feet hit the ground outside of Hogwarts I grab Hero once again and start running. The death eaters guarding the school instantly see us and raise their wands. I know they've been warned and won't hesitate to kill us both.

              "We need to get to the room of requirement." I tell Hero.

       I look down and see that the piece of my shirt is completely drenched. Her face is bright white. I don't know how she's still alive, but the important thing is that she is. I take her hand and begin walking fast. Not even three steps in and I feel Hero's body fall into the grass.

           "I can't, Draco." She whimpers.

             A ball of light flies over my head. The death eaters move closer and don't stop. I pick up Hero and she wraps her arms around my neck.

       My feet start moving as fast as possible towards the back of Hogwarts. I surprisingly dodge every spell the death eaters cast at us.

         One man guards the back entrance but I knock him out. Once I open the door I find the nearest staircase and race up to the seventh floor. I hear footsteps coming up the stairs quickly but they're too late.

          The door to the room of requirement opens.

       I set Hero down on the sofa. "Are you okay?"

           She laughs to herself. "Do I look okay?"

       Even this close to death she has her humor. I smile and let out a sigh of relief. She unwraps the piece of my shirt from her torso and I can't help but bite down on my lip at the hole in her stomach.

         "Who did that to you?" I ask.

She keeps her head down. 

          "Lucius."

         My jaw clenches with frustration. None of this would have happened if I would have chased after her sooner.

          It's all my fault.

         "I'm so sorry." I say softly.

         Finally, she looks up at me. "Draco, it's my fault. I told Harry-"

          "No," I interrupt. "You did the right thing."

         She smiles slightly then continues to clean up her wound.

        "You're so much stronger than me."

         Hero lifts up her hand to place it on my face but notices the amount of blood and puts it back down. I grab it anyway and press it to my cheek.

          She reminds me of all of the times where I've shown bravery, then makes a joke about me being "such a Gryffindor." As kind as it is, she's wrong.

           I'm not brave like her.

         "Do you think you could help me with this?" Hero points to her stomach.

        I pull my wand out and begin closing the hole. She grips the side of the couch trying to conceal the pain. Once it's fully healed Hero lays back and shuts her eyes.

          "Don't fall asleep." I say sternly. "You need to stay awake."

       She lets out a heavy sigh but nods. Slowly, I see color come back to her face. I get comfortable on the floor beside her and light the fire.

           "What now?" Hero asks.

          The death eaters are either still looking for us, or have given up and are waiting for us to show ourselves.

        Sooner or later, Potter is going to come back to Hogwarts and the second wizarding war will begin.

                   All I do know is that this can't end well.