Chapter 30

Song of the Chapter : Black Magic by Jaymes Young

Draco's POV

       Seventh year is basically the same as sixth. All of the classes we had last year, just new lessons. Which means I still get to see Hero quite a bit.

        "I can't believe we have a whole year of potions again." Hero whines.

          "You're lucky that you excel in this class unlike other people."

              As we enter the class Potter and Granger greet us.

             "Hero, I missed you so much!" Harry exclaims.

          I shoot him a glare. Even though we are on good terms I still don't like how much he fancies her. I wait for Hero to reply and when she doesn't I look over. She stands there staring wide-eyed at Harry.

                    "Is everything okay?" He asks her.

         She keeps staring in shock. I nudge her arm to snap her into reality. When she does a small tear falls onto her cheek.

             "I-I can't do this."

       Embarrassed, she runs out of the classroom. I start to run after her but Hermione stops me.

                "Is she alright?"

       I pull my arm out of her grip. I try to say something that will help the situation but nothing comes out. I race out of the room and into the hall.

       It takes me a moment to find out where she's gone. Then I remember where we always end up when things like this happen and head towards the bathrooms.

              "Hero?"

          I turn the corner and see her washing her face in the sink. She doesn't react to me entering.

         "He's going to die." She cries. "He's one of my closest friends and I know he's about to be killed and I can't say anything-"

           I put my hands on her shoulders. "Hero. Just relax, okay?"

         "Relax?" she snaps at me. I knew as soon as that came out of my mouth that I shouldn't have said it.

             "No, I just mean-"

             "You know this is so wrong, Draco."

        She's right. I do know. I knew it before him and I were friends. Potter doesn't deserve anything coming his way, and if there was something I could do to change it I would. But there's not.

                  "I'm sorry."

        Hero turns the sink off and rubs her eyes. I move her body to face mine. She stares down at her feet trying to hide her pain.

               "Look at me." I whisper.

          My hand grabs her face gently and pulls it upwards. She looks at me and I see so much bottled up inside her.

                 "It's okay."

          Hero closes her eyes and tears pour from her face. I pull her into my chest and try my best to make at least some of the hurting go away. I know I'm not as good at comforting, but I'm trying. Over the past year she's taught me a lot.

               "We are terrible people." Hero whimpers.

          "We might be," I sigh. "But at least we can be terrible together."

Hero's POV

       Draco said he would skip class with me but it's the first day back and I already feel awful for scaring Harry and Hermione. After potions is over I head to my next class. The day goes by extremely slow. All I want to do is lay in my bed.

       "The last first day is officially over!" Daphne shouts while walking into our dorm. I laugh and take a seat with her on the sofa. Pansy is already laying down. I try to completely ignore her now. It honestly has made things a lot better.

            "Can you believe after this we have to start our lives?"

       Not at all. Being an adult terrifies me. I don't know what I want to do or where I want to go. Everyone around me has a plan. Except Draco, but that's expected.

              "Do you and Blaise have a plan for the future?" I ask.

         Daphne giggles to herself. "I don't know, maybe? I mean, obviously I have a plan. I won't scare him with it just yet."

        I don't even know if after Hogwarts I'll see them. I'd like to think that we'll keep in contact, but who knows.

       Suddenly, there's a knock on the door. Daphne shoots up to see who it is. When she opens the door Draco and Blaise run into the room.

                 "Hello ladies." Blaise greets us.

        "You've got to be fucking joking." Pansy huffs while slamming her book and exiting the room.

        I try not to laugh out loud at her actions. Draco walks over and gives me a big smile.

       "This is a nice surprise." I say. "What's the special occasion?"

       The boys look at each other awkwardly. "Zabini, hurry up and think of something."

          Daphne and I roll our eyes in sync.

                "Malfoy just wanted some s-"

          Draco punches Blaise in the gut. I shoot him a playful glare and he pulls me in for a kiss. The four of us seat ourselves on the couch by the fire and discuss future careers and plans. When Blaise mentions Daphne in his future her eyes light up. They talk about children and jobs. Draco and I sit silently listening. Neither of us have the slightest idea what we want to do. I want to be with him and I guess that's what matters right now.

           "Hero, you should be a teacher." Daphne tells me.

         Blaise agrees. "Honestly, you are one of the most intelligent people I know!"

          I turn to Draco who is lost in thought. "What?"

        "Oh nothing," He chuckles. "I'm just imagining you in a teacher uniform. You know, with the glasses..."

        Blaise chokes on his water and starts laughing hysterically. I cross my arms aggressively. Draco wraps himself around me trying to make me smile.

          "You would be an amazing teacher, love."

             I finally break and start blushing.