Chapter 17

Lacey walked inside Chris's cousin's house as she glanced around, gently setting her suitcases by the door and sighing contently.

"Hi, Lacey!" Nick greeted her.

"Hi, Nick!" She smiled at the eleven year old.

Nick and Lacey traipsed upstairs, Nick and wanting the female to see where she was going to be staying.

The girl suddenly heard someone humming and followed the noise. She stopped by a door that was cracked open.

"That sounds nice," Lacey said to Nick. "What's in there?"

She peeked inside to see the girl that was supposed to be dead sitting on her blue and black bed. She was singing Haunted by Taylor Swift while playing a guitar. Lacey stepped in and smiled at the girl. "You're good," Lacey complemented.

Her head snapped towards Lacey at breakneck speed. A growl escaped Kailee's throat as she bared her teeth at Lacey. She stumbled backward, shocked at how animalistic that had sounded.

Kailee hopped up, eyes flashing gold. "What do you think you're doing?" She growled again. Kailee's eyes were glowing now. It was her whole eye, not just her iris.

Lacey held her hands up in surrender. Nick grabbed Kailee's arm. "Mom, calm down! Lacey is just a friend," he assured her.

Kailee stopped beside Nick, and her eyes turned back to their normal grayish blue. "Sorry," Kailee apologized to her. "My temper is set off by the smallest things."

"Your eyes! They were golden!" Lacey cried in astonishment.

"The light plays tricks," Kailee responded lightly.

"The lights are off." Lacey narrowed her eyes at the werewolf.

Nick stepped in. "Leave it alone," Lacey." The boy gave her a look that said, "Let it go."

Lacey sighed in defeat and exited the room. That girl was definitely not normal, if that was even possible.