Chapter 27

The ringtone of John's phone blasted through the speakers, and the man frustratedly picked it up, holding it to his ear. "What?" He snapped. He'd been spending three hours trying to come up with some sort of strategy to approach the vampires, but he had no solid ideas yet, just bits and pieces.

"John?" Chris's voice rang out on the other end, voice pouring desperation and worry.

John blinked, frustration melting away to make room for concern. "What is it?"

"Jeremy and Kailee disappeared last period. We called Nick's school, and the phone line was cut off. We ditched school and headed to Nick, but he was gone and his school was a mess. We think they may be battling it out right now." Chris rushed hurriedly through his words, sounding as if he was going to hyperventilate. Lacey's heavy breathing in the background wasn't helping things either.

"Is there any way to track them?" John asked.

"Maybe, give me a moment," Chris replied as he tried to calm his breathing.

There was static for a few seconds before John heard a click on the other end of the line, signaling Chris had picked back up.

"Chris is tracking their phones now," Lacey informed him instead. A few moments of tense silence later, Lacey spoke back up. "They're about two miles west of Nick's school, somewhere in the middle of the forest next to the building."

"I'll be there," was all John said before slamming the receiver down, grabbing his rifle and lighter off of the table, and booking it out of the door.

_______________________________

Chris quickly scrambled through his backpack, rummaging to find his weapons. He swiped two lighters, three machetes, and a burn rope.

Standing up, he handed his girlfriend a lighter, machete, and placed the burn rope on her neck like a necklace. "For convenience," he elaborated at the odd look she gave him.

"This is used to wrap around a vampire's neck. It burns through the throat and causes the head to fall off. Use the machete to slice their heads off, and burn the body when you get the chance with your lighter," Chris instructed.

Lacey nodded in confirmation, hopping up to join her boyfriend as the two rushed outside and followed Chris's digital directions. Both of them could hear John's truck as they reached the edge.

Stopping and turning around, they caught sight of John rushing towards them, rifle and lighter in hand as he nodded at them.

The group rushed forward and hoped they weren't too late.

_______________________________

Kailee leapt and kicked and bit at multiple vampires, snarling as she tore heads off left and right. Jeremy lunged forward, fangs bared as he tore the heads off of a multitude of vampires with his bare hands.

Nick knocked a vampire to the side and slashed the machete through its chest. The vampire collapsed as Nick chopped its head off with the weapon swiftly.

Kailee was suddenly attacked from the side and pushed to the ground, the breath being knocked from her lungs as the male vampire lunged for her furry throat.

She struggled uselessly, legs flailing and sharp yelps escaping her muzzle, her strength limited from using so much strength in a short period of time.

Just as the vamp went in for the kill, teeth poised at her jugular, a gun shot echoed out, and the vampire screeched in pain as it was knocked from Kailee's form. The werewolf took the opportunity to leap to her feet and rip the vampire's head off.

Immediately after, she turned her large head to see who had shot the bullet, only to catch sight of John, Lacey, and Chris heading towards their group.

Kailee smiled inwardly and wagged her tail momentarily just before getting back to the battle at hand.

They fought with all of their energy and power, but it wasn't enough. While they had killed off plenty of vampires, there were still plenty left.

Kailee knew it would come to this one day, her parents had told her so, but she had very desperately hoped that they were wrong at the time. With everything that had happened since, she knew that it was all leading up to the inevitable, this moment.

Her Royal Alpha blood gave her power no other werewolf possessed, but it was a dangerous thing, not just for others, but for her as well. And yet, she didn't have a choice anymore.

Kicking a vampire that came at her away, she quickly shifted back to her human form and screamed as loud as she could, "Guys, get behind me and close your eyes!"

Knowing that this was a fight yet to be won, her family did as she said, understanding that it was best not to question an order during a battle.

Kailee shut her eyes and whispered, "I'm sorry," just before she spread her arms and blue light shot in all directions.

Nick, John, Chris, Lacey, and Jeremy bent over and tried to shield themselves better from the burning light piercing through their eyelids.

Kailee could feel herself starting to lose consciousness, her mind drifting farther and farther away and her eyesight starting to blur.

Every vampire, save Jeremy, collapsed to the ground, eyes exploding from their heads and killing them instantly.

Kailee fell forward seconds later, face rushing towards the ground before Jeremy suddenly caught her, placing her gently on the grass as she lost consciousness.

_______________________________

Two days passed, but Kailee still wasn't awake yet. She wasn't dead, but she wasn't waking up, and it was scaring all of them. It was clear that whatever she had done had taken its toll on her.

"Lacey, can you go check on Kailee?" John asked softly.

"Of course, John," she replied gently to Nick's father as she started up the steps.

She shuffled down the hall and quietly peeked into Kailee's room, eyes drifting across the bed to see if the werewolf was awake or not. What Lacey noticed caused her to scream.

"She's gone!"

Only a white envelope was left behind.

_______________________________

The group sat gingerly on Kailee's bed, every one of them waiting in trepidation for Jeremy to open the white envelope that was resting in his lap.

Finally, Jeremy took a deep breath and carefully opened the paper, unfolding the sheet resting inside.

Dear family and mate,
                                        I left. That's obvious, I suppose. When I woke up, I knew in my heart I couldn't stay. I'm a danger in every sense of the word, and I'm so lucky none of you got killed from just being around me. Unfortunately, that luck can't last forever, and I don't want to see it run out.
         Nick, John, thank you for taking me in and calling me your own. Thank you for making me family, and thank you for accepting me.
         Chris, Lacey, thank you for being my best friends and not caring what I was. Thank you for accepting me, and thank you for always sticking by me when I needed it.
         Jeremy, I know I was a bitch to you when you confronted me, and I know I'm probably not the best mate you could've gotten, but in the end, you accepted me as I was and loved me anyway. I'm sorry I never appreciated that enough. You deserved better. I want you to know that you are my mate, and I'm actually very happy about that. I can't really thank you for one or two things when it's really everything I need to thank you for.
           Thank you all for being my family after everything. Please don't hate me for this. All I've ever wanted to do was protect you.
                                 Stay safe,
                                                Kailee

There was nothing left but tears, and it wasn't like there was anything else to give after that.