Chapter 25

"So, there has to be a reason why the vampires want to kill you so badly. What is it?" Jeremy turned to Kailee.

To be honest, all of them were curious. She had explained that vampires were after her, but the reason had always been excluded from the explanation.

"Okay, here goes. My family had Alpha blood, but not just any Alpha blood: Royal Alpha blood. We never let our secret get out because we knew since we were the last Royals, vampires and maybe even werewolves would want our power. Since the Royal blood is so powerful, it can't be without a host, so if someone kills that Royal, they get the power of the Royal. It's a shitty system at best, but I guess it's life," Kailee explained.

"So, you're saying that if a vampire kills you, they get your power?" John asked in disbelief.

"Basically. That goes for every creature, not just vampires. It includes humans, too, if they were able to catch me." Kailee sighed.

"It's mostly why she's so distrustful of me," Jeremy admitted. "If there was just some vampires looking for revenge, her distrust wouldn't be so justified, but when she has all that power that can be easily acquired just by killing her, it makes it very hard for her to trust anyone, even her mate."

"Especially when that mate's a vampire," Nick added. Jeremy nodded in agreement.

"Well, how do we defeat these killers?" Chris asked.

"Can't we just kill them?" Lacey asked.

"It doesn't work like that. Vampires die by decapitation. You have to remove their heads, but that takes a lot of strength, and only a werewolf or a vampire themselves could do that, maybe a human if they were strong enough or had a weapon sharp enough. I wouldn't be able to defeat them alone, even with Jeremy. My old pack is dead, unfortunately, so that's not going to help the situation either," Kailee told them.

"Kailee's right. Vampires are hard to kill, even for a supernatural. I should know, being one and all," Jeremy agreed, backing Kailee up.

"Then what's the plan? Kailee can't hide from them forever!" Chris argued.

"Chris is right. We love you and all, but I really don't want to die because we were all too lazy to come up with a plan," Lacey joked.

Kailee laughed. "Touch'e."

"Nobody's going to hide forever. You'll go about your normal routines tomorrow while I take a day off and try to come up with some logical battle strategies. When school is over, Jeremy can head over here, and we can make more and eliminate," John said.

"I don't know, John...." Kailee trailed off.

"I'm the adult here, Kailee," John reminded her.

"And I'm the Royal Alpha here, John," Kailee challenged.

"Touch'e." John smiled. "But seriously, it'll be fine."

"Fine, but if anything happens, I want you to yell. I'll be on alert if I hear anything from the school, and so will Jeremy," Kailee said.

Jeremy smiled and nodded. "Okay then. It's settled."

"I have one more thing to ask, though." Chris said.

"What?" Kailee asked.

Everyone's attention was on Chris now. "Since I was a little boy, I would read fairytales. I would read about evil vampires and rampaging full moon werewolves. I would watch Twilight. Every time I would think to myself, "I wish this was real. That would be epic! Too bad it's just fantasy." But now when I'm seventeen, I find out that they're all real, and I'm involved in a conspiracy with both of them. I keep thinking what would happen if I never came here. What would've happened if Nick never let you in, or where would you be now?" Chris wondered.

Lacey butted in. "I agree. What would have happened to me if I never came to this house with Chris? What would have happened to you at school without me? And at the age of sixteen, I find out that the mythical fairytales kids read and people make movies about are real."

Nick joined in, too. "If I didn't let you in that night, I might have watched you die or maybe just run off. What if I didn't take you on that school trip with me? And when I found out werewolves and vampires were real, I wondered what else existed. If I never met you, I would never believe the things I do now. I can't not believe anything that is impossible."

John was left out, so he added his own word. "I keep thinking to myself what would have changed if I didn't insist coming into Nick's room that night after I heard him talking to someone. What if Nick was never in his room then? What if I never got home at that point when your heart stopped beating in those woods, would you be dead or alive? Maybe I wouldn't of had to deal with this and spend my days worrying that Nick, Chris, Lacey, you, or even me are going to be attacked at any moment." Kailee looked guilty as John said this.

"But we would never," Chris continued.

"Ever in our right minds," Lacey added.

"Change what happened those days," Nick kept going.

"Because normal is no fun, and you're the best thing that has ever happened to us," John ended.

Kailee smiled with tears going down her face. Jeremy hesitantly rubbed Kailee's back to comfort her.

"Thank you. To be honest, I've wondered, too. Where I would be if Nick didn't open that door? What if Lacey hadn't calmed me down when I got to school? What if I never snapped at Lacey? I might not have met Jeremy. I've always learned growing up that humans would kill you for what you are, if they knew my dangerous secret. But now I know the truth. Some humans are kind and selfless. They don't care what you look like or what you are, just who you are. You guys are my family, and I will never forget that you helped me in my time of need. If we do defeat the vampires, and I have to leave, I won't ever forget you. I won't ever not have you on my mind, I promise you that," Kailee swore.

They were all in tears, and none of them really cared at that point. Nick, John, Lacey, Kailee, and Chris hugged, Jeremy joining in when Kailee gave him an encouraging smile, and they were never letting go.

OMG! So sad! Who cried? I did! I feel like this is probably my most emotional chapter so your welcome! Till the next chapter doggies!