Lunch at the Castle

Kristoff watched the young man run back to the castle, then turned back to the steward.

"I assume your message is for me, Kai?"

"Nothing to worry about," the steward replied, "but Her Majesty wishes to see you."

"Thank you," he said smiling, "Is there anything else?"

"No, Your Highness, but if I may ask, was that the private secretary to the new ambassador?"

"Yes, he made that much clear. And I promised him that I wouldn't share our conversation, so you won't get anything more out of me."

"Very well, Your Highness, I'll take my leave," he said with a small bow, and left.

"We'll have to catch up more tomorrow, Sven," he said, closing the stable door and heading to the castle.

With a soft knock, he entered the royal bedroom. Anna was sitting on the bed, fully dressed, with the youngest boy and girl beside her.

"Do I need to change?"

"Just wash your hands, Karl and Marie want a picnic out in the garden," she declared as the boy and girl jumped into his arms.

"Will the doctor approve?"

"Probably not, but if you go with me, I won't be over-exerting myself, so it's fine."

He knew how bored she was getting with the doctor's restrictions, but they did have to at least keep up some appearance of following the rules. Still, some fresh air in the garden would probably be nice.

"You win this one," Kristoff admitted as he walked over to wash his hands. "Where's Sofia?"

"I think she went with Olaf to look for her brothers."

"And where are they? Hiding from the tutors? Or getting the tutors fired?"

"That was only once, and you fired him, if I remember. And it was Inga who gave him trouble, not the boys."

"She was justified, though I did learn some French from that man. You still haven't told me if I'm allowed to use any of it at official functions, though..."

Anna smirked and rolled her eyes. "As for the boys, I think Inga has managed to make Fred feel a bit guilty now, at least. He's starting to sit down for more than ten minutes for his lessons, that's what she told me yesterday."

"Well, I'm sure she'll be at dinner tonight. And, yes, I'll be there, too. Besides, I already met one of the new visitors, and he seems friendly enough."

"Does he know he's met you?"

"You know, I almost feel bad that other countries only ever get formal portraits of us..."

"You know that only works for you," she said. "So, what did you learn?"

"He's very young, and absolutely shouldn't go into espionage, but he knows our children's names better than their own parents do."

"I'll give him credit if he can keep the names straight trying to get them to stop climbing over the castle walls," Anna laughed, "but is he really that young?"

"I would be surprised if he's even twenty," said Kristoff, "but who knows. I suppose he's had an easy life, maybe he hasn't aged too much."

Gerda poked her head into the room.

"Your Majesty, the lunch is ready in the garden."

Marie ran out ahead with Karl following closely behind. Kristoff walked over to the bed and Anna took his arm. Marie ran back and forth several times as they made their way to the garden, while Karl toddled his way at an excited but steady pace.